The Shadow

The Shadow

Pain flickered across Arianne’s face, wanting to breathe normally but she was slowly suffocated by the heavy smoke she’d inhaled. The house was burning so fast and she was there on the ground floor, conscious, and yet immovable. She couldn’t feel her legs anymore. He tried to crawl on the floor but her body was too weak to even to move.  Coughing, she breathed hard. It felt like any moment, she would pass out.

“Enjoy in hell,” he’d said but she couldn’t argue for more.  Her spinal cord was in unfathomable pain after he threw her upstairs and landed in the ground floor. Her body was completely useless that she couldn’t even move to save herself. Her face had bloods dripping down from her wounded skull, after he’d slammed her on the wall. Her hair was now messy when he’d grabbed it and used it to push her hardly on the wooden table before he repeatedly kicked him on the floor. This was a living nightmare for Arianne. “You let her get away with Danger so this is my sweet punishment for you,” she heard him speak again. This devil wouldn’t want him to get away. He had no mercy. His ruthless eyes were upon her as he tilted his head and kneeled on the floor.

She heard him laugh but her eyes were so blurry, that she could hardly see him. She was crying for mercy but he didn’t even bother. His eyes were so intense and feral that Arianne didn’t know what just happened. For a moment, he was her hero and then the next thing she knew, he was enjoying beating her up.

“Do you ever think for a moment that I really love you?”

Her tears gathered in her throat, ready to choke her. But what would be the difference? She sobbed as her heart shattered. Hearing his insane hilarity made her want to die. How could she fall in love in this kind monster?

Ezekiel.

His innocent face was being replaced by someone that she’d never known that it existed inside of him. His nasty eyes were glowing out of hunger for blood and displeasure. Before she could even blink, Ezekiel grabbed her again and flanged her unto the wall. It was so strong that she had cried for mercy when her back touched the cold, firm part of their living room. He let out a deep breath, “I am not what you think I am. I’m only here for one purpose, and that is for Danger. You’ve played us and you played with me, but I guess we’re even, I played with you and your parents as well.”

Her round eyes widened by his words. She couldn’t believe this dilemma to ever happen. This man used to be her knight in shining armor.  He used to give her flowers in the middle of the class. He used to give her the warmest smile upon his chiseled face. He was the sweetest man she’d ever known..but not like this. Not in her wildest dreams.

Ezekiel turned into someone else as if something was controlling him. Like a monster in her greatest nightmare, his evil gape made her wounded skin shivered. Her head was bleeding due to repetitively beating her. She couldn’t move her feet after she fell on the stairs. God, it was like she was in hell already and this man who held her caged was none other than Satan.

“Don’t worry”, he plastered a mocking grin, “you’ll be with them any moment by now.”

“W-why are you doing this, Ezy?” She tried to ask him despite the fact that even if she’d known the answer, nothing would change. This man was still a monster.

Ezekiel tilted his head and grabbed her hair again to make sure that she would glimpse unto his face as near as possible.  Again, her heart pounded wildly whenever she took a glance unto his devilish stares.  His eyes changed from an innocent to a killer. Deadly. Vicious.

“I wonder why you ask me when in fact you’ll be gone anyway,” he grinned even more.

Was this really the man Danger trusted? Arianne wouldn’t want to believe this. But it was true.