The Letter |Ch. 8

I found myself at mom's funeral a week later. A day before Christmas.

Our family from Scotland didn't attend.

The only people there were me, Derek, Becka and her parents, Hailey and her mom, and some of my mother's coworkers.

Which was around 20 people.

I didn't talk to Hailey nor her mom. Mostly because I was too busy crying.

And because I felt abandoned by her.

A month later, I was back to school. And still getting picked on.

It got to me more than ever.

And Derek removed the lock on my door so I couldn't run away in my room anymore.

He kept beating me and telling me I was worthless and he wished I died instead of mom.

One day I wouldn't be here anymore, and he'd be happy.

December 24th 2011

Kat: 13 years-old

I opened my locker and stuffed my Math books inside, taking out my lunch box.

Hailey came by my side.

"Guess what I have for lunch!," she said, all excited.

I stared at her blankly, waiting for her to answer her own question.

"It's this super healthy diet salad Emily told me about!" She lifted her lunch box in front of her and pointed to it.

"Life saver!," she sang.

I kept a serious expression, barely flinching. She put her lunch-bag back down.

"What's up with you, grumpy lady?" She linked arms with me and dragged me to the cafeteria.

"Nothing," I replied simply.

"You always comment on my diets," she said as we sat down at our table.

"Because you're slim as hell! And you think you have to lose weight! I just think it's ridiculous."

She looked down at her stomach. "But did you see me before? It was disgusting," she said, wrinkling her nose.

"It never was. Emily makes you insecure like this. Ever since you hang out with her, you're-"

"Now, now. People grow up and change. Get over it."

I shook my head and took out my chicken sandwich.

I took a bite. It was delicious.

"Talking about Emily, what's the occasion?," I said after swallowing my food.

"Occasion?," Hailey repeated.

"For you sitting with me. What's the occasion?," I asked again.

She hadn't sat with me at lunch since I'd came back to school 11 months ago.

She looked down at her food, unable to face me.

"I know it's been one year today without her," she said sadly.

"You're sitting with me for that? Out of pity?"

She looked up at me.

"You think I don't care? Because I do," she replied, obviously offended.

"Well you have an odd way of showing it; ditching me all the time."

"That's not because I don't care! It's just-" I held up a hand to silence her.