Laws Of Hygiene

Today, hygiene is considered very important. We understand that microscopic germs can be found nearly everywhere, and many are quite harmful to the human body. This information, however, is relatively recent. The Encyclopedia Britannica, an academically trusted source, documents that as recently as two hundred years ago, in 1845, a medical examiner in Vienna noticed that there was a horrible death rate among women giving birth in hospitals. Nearly thirty percent of new mothers died after going into labor. He investigated the cases, and found that many doctors would examine the bodies of dead patients, and would then proceed to examine expectant mothers without washing their hands. At best they would dip their hands in a bowl of water, which, as we know today, can still leave many harmful germs. After ordering that physicians mandatorily wash their hands, the death rate dropped to two percent. Thousands of years ago, however, the Lord gave specific instructions to the Israelites for when they encountered disease, "And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean" (Leviticus 15:13). Notice how Scripture specifies that a person should wash with running water.

 Notice how Scripture specifies that a person should wash with running water