XVIII.

May nag-doorbell na, yun na siguro yung hinihintay niyang bisita.

“I’ll get that hon, kunin mo na muna si Gelo.” Sinundo ko na si Gelo sa kwarto at bumalik agad papuntang garden. Pagdating ko nakaupo na pala yung mga bisita.’Di ko lang maaninag nakatalikod kasi sila e at nang lumapit a ako…

“Good thing you’re already here hon, they are the my parents’ business partners.” Talagang ikinagulat ko kung sino yung mga yun. Muntik ko nang mabitawan si Gelo. This can’t be real.

“Althea? Oh my gosh!”

“Sweetheart what’s the meaning of this?”

It was my parents. Kainis bakit sa ganitong paraan pa nila kailangan malaman. “Hon you know them?” Miggy asked in a trembling and confused tone.

“They’re my parents Miggy. This was one of the things I wanted to tell you earlier. I’m so sorry but believe me, I tried. I just didn’t know how. I didn’t know they were the visitors you were talking about.”

“Thea why did you do this sweetheart? How could you? You’re too young to be a mother.” My mom almost hysterical. “It’s not what you think it is mom. Please let’s talk about this later.”

“I’ve had enough of this, let’s go!” Dad forcefully grabbed my hand, good thing I held Gelo tighter or he might have fell.

“Dad, please!” Gelo started crying due to the agitated atmosphere. “Shhh , Gelo baby. Stop crying please.”

“Okay then just finish this crap and get in the car!” My dad’s really furious now.

“Why me hon? Why lie?”

“Sorry.” That's just what I managed to say, I can’t even look at him now. “Is that the only word you know?”

“I love you.”

“You do? Then why did you chose to break my heart? I though you’re different? You’re simple,loving sweet… I could take you nagging me- but lying in my face, that's just bullshit!”

“I did this as a favor for my friend Noei.” I hugged him from the back, my voice hoarse from crying. “But it doesn’t change the fact that you toyed with my feelings.. Just leave. I don’t want to see you again. EVER. GET LOST!” He shoved my hand off his shoulder.  “But hon.”

“Uwaaaah-aaah!”

“Come here baby, don’t weep for her loss. You shouldn’t shed tears to a liar like her. FORGET ABOUT HER.” Matigas niyang sabi saka umalis sa harap ko dala si Gelo.

***

Grabe sobrang sakit. Inamin ko na mahal ko siya, ‘di pa din pala sapat Eto ako ngayon humahagulgol sa kwarto ko dahil sa katangahan ko. Pero bago pa man ‘to nagkaroon pa nang madugong usapan between me and my parents..

***
“You brat! Ingrate! What were you thinking?” Masakit yung pagkakasampal ni daddy pero mas masakit yung sampalin ka nang katotohanang, nawala ang mahal mo dahil sa kasinungalingan mo. “Love enough you’re hurting our daughter.”

“Don’t interfere love. I’ll settle this my way!” Great my parents are fighting because of me. “Dad enough! I did this for Noei…”

“What did you say? Are you fooling around? I caught you with a child in your arms living together with a man under one roof… and you’re telling me you did it for Noei? What crap is that?”

“I’m a babysitter dad, that baby is not my son nor that mam, he’s not my husband”

“What? Are you crazy? We earn millions from our businesses and you’re babysitting? Are you really insulting us?”

“No dad,” I sobbed in dismay. “ mali bang tumulong sa kaibigan? No scratch that, Noei is like a sister to me. I helped her because she’s sick that time. She’s not lucky enough to be born with a golden spoon like I am. She’s not an heiress. I also did it for myself. How do I appreciate the value of things when you’re always spoiling me? Have you forgotten dad? You taught me that and now you’re mad at me.”

“Sis, sorry po talaga… di naman po talaga kasalanan ni Ms. Thea.” Noei, humbly asking for my father’s forgiveness. I pity her. “ Sir pasensiya na po sa inasal ng anak ko. Ako na po ang bahalang magparusa sa kanya.”

“Don’t I give you a reasonable salary? You’re accountable for Thea. You promised me that, so why did it end up like this?”

“Yaya Mila, Noei ‘wag kayong mag-alala… I’ll be taking responsibility for everything. Dad, please you don’t need to be hostile towards them.”

“What a jerk I’ve been. I’ve forgotten you’re all grown up now - more than a woman I wanted you to be. I’m really sorry sweetheart. Could you give this old man a hug?”

“O dad, di ka pa naman matanda e, though magiging lolo ka na soon.” Pilyang hirit ko. Sa haba nang pangaral niya makaganti man lang ako no.

“What? Don’t tell me you’re?”

“After six years pa dad, mwaah I missed you.”

***

See madugo diba? Ingles-san e. Ayos na kami pero bakit sumi-senti pa din ako dito? Si Miggy kasi e, ayaw ako pakinggan.

“Hoy sis! Anong drama yan?”

“Wala.” Kulit ni Noei, kasama ko ngayon taga-abot ng tissue ko

“O ayan, iyakin ka na nga uhugin ka pa.”

published online: 09.10.17
© zee_elle