Chapter 2: The Change

I walked down the hallways for what seemed like hours, trying to find the chemistry room. I happened to glance over to find Dawn walking into a door. I followed her inside.

                         When I came inside, I saw beakers, chemicals, and test tubes. The room smelled like a doctor's office. I looked over to see a empty seat beside Dawn. I walked over and took a seat beside her.

                         "Hey." I said to her.

                         "Hey." she replied.

                         "Mind if I sit here?" I asked her.

                         "Not at all." she said, happily.

                         "Okay class, my name is Mr. Yarks. Now, there should be a packet on your desk. Your assignment for the class period is to fill it out. Take your time and do your best. Begin!" the teacher said. Funny, it's our first day at the high school and we are already handed packets to fill out. It was the most boring 45 minutes of my life.

                         "Goodbye class! Don't forget to turn in your work before you leave." Mr. Yarks called. I walked out of the classroom, leaving my work on the desk.

                         "Next class, algebra." I said out loud, instead of in my head.

                         "So is mine." someone said beside me. But, it wasn't Dawn's voice. I turned my head to see him standing there. "Hi, my name's Mark." he said to me.

                         "Lany." I said to him.

                         "Hey, Dawn has told me a lot about you." he said.

                         "Oh, has she?" I asked, sarcastically.

                         "Yeah. Do you want to hang out with us after school?" he asked me.

                         "Well, my brother is coming to get me after school." I told him.

                         "That's okay. Can I sit by you at lunch?" he asked me.

                         "Sure. Hey, if you want to, you can come home with me after school." I replied.

                         "Great, I would love to!" he said. As soon as he finished, the bell rang.

                         "Can I walk you to class?" he asked.

                         "Sure." I told him. I'm so stupid! Why did I just invite this stranger to my house? I at least had to know his whole name.

                         "Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what's your last name?" I asked him, wondering.

                         "Wells. Mark Wells." he told me.

                         "Okay. Thanks." I said. At least now I could be at peace. Something seemed off about Mark, but I just let it slide.