Chapter 14: Improving

I felt the droplets flinging towards me, grouping together in the space between my hands. Soon,  a small orb of water trembled at my fingertips. The second I opened my eyes to admire the water, it dropped to the floor with a splash.

"Good job," Eriladar said, impressed. "I've never seen a water bender do that so early on in their training. Try again."

I complied, closing my eyes and concentrating. Once again, my senses heightened as the sound of every individual drop slapping against the stone carried in my ears. I could feel the mist from the water I held spraying against my fingers. I slowly opened my eyes, making sure not to break my hold on the water. I only had eyes for that orb dangling before me. It shimmered in the low light, catching every color of the spectrum. My arms were stretched as wide as they could go. I'd pulled all the water in the cave to me, and if I didn't stop there, the ocean would be next.

How do I send it away? I thought, I looked around the cave, careful to maintain my hold on the water. Eriladar was seated before me, so I decided to try directing the water to the sides to make sure it didn't hit him. I thrust my arms outward and the water surged in all directions, sloshing against the caverns walls. Eriladar clapped slowly then said, "You've done it. We will stay in the cave for three more days, so that you can get the feel of the water. Then we will return."

"What if the shadows attack Trocien while we're gone?"

"We will know. The winds will blow and the waves will rise higher than this cave. We will know if there is a war."

I nodded, reassured, and repositioned myself on the rock ground.

"No," Eriladar said.

I opened my eyes to see him pointing to the top of the stalagmite. "Do you really think I can get up there?" I looked doubtfully at the rock. 

He nodded. "Stay in control. Stay focused. Don't let the water consume you."

I stood up and shut my eyes. The water was reluctant to obey, but I soon heard it skittering across the rock floor to meet me. 

"Now picture directing the water underneath your feet, boosting you up to the rock," Eriladar instructed. 

I moved my hands by my sides and the droplets pooled under my feet. Sweat dripped down my forehead as I pushed myself. Even asking the water to do a simple task was exerting beyond imagination. I felt myself gradually being raised higher and higher. When I opened my eyes, I was greeted by the stalagmite, which I had drawn level with. I smiled and stepped on it, pulling the water with me. The water hovered expectantly in the air as I settled on the stone. Scattered around me were several shells, left by previous adventurers who had dared to climb the stalagmite after entering the cave.

I wondered if I could only bend a little of the water without moving all of it. Concentrating harder, I summoned an image of a water tendril reaching to splash my face. I gasped in shock as the icy water met my skin. It had obeyed.

By the next morning, I could morph the element into different shapes.

Abruptly, I released my hold. The water fell all around, but Eriladar did not complain from below, though I couldn't see him. My arms trembled and my eyes burned. I'd stayed up a full twenty four hours, but it felt like I hadn't slept in days.

Using my powers must sap my energy, I thought. I called my father's name, wondering whether he had found something to eat.