Part 03.3

::THOMAS::

I really want to do something—like strangle a certain blue-haired energy source. I can now, because Trey's busy talking to some of the others about getting rid of that tracking device. So I wait until he's really distracted, and then sneaked out the door.

Trey doesn't notice.

I don't actually want to strangle Sean. I mean, sure, I'd like to. Since day one, in fact. But it'd be stupid, considering we've been trying to save the ingrate's life all this time. I just want to make him realize how serious this is. He's put everyone here in danger, and I want him to know just that. I want him to feel sorry for causing all this trouble. He needs to learn that there are more important things in the world than just what he wants.

I opened the door. "Hi Thomas," Cody said, making an attempt to be happy. "Be quiet. Sean's sleeping. He slept really late last night."

I shake my head. "I want to talk to him, he can sleep later."

"But—"

I cut him off, "You knew about the tracker, didn't you?"

"Yeah..." There's a guilty look on his face.

"So why didn't you say anything? You know what they're like! You were a prisoner there." I try not to explode since Cody's got that innocent look that makes me guilty to be so mad at him. "Did you ever stop to think about what might happen if they found us? You've put your friends in danger, yourself. Didn't you think about it? We could all die, people you love, like Corrin and Trey."

Cody cringes back, near tears. Maybe I've been to harsh. But no one else is gonna do it, because let's face it they're all soft on him up here, and yes, I'm hoping Corrin doesn't found out or else I'm expecting a few broken bones. Someone has to tell him off, though. He's still a child, and sometimes children needs to be scolded. Even Cody, no matter how sweet a kid he is. Trey won't, at least, not properly. He and Corrin are way too soft-hearted, it's a miracle the kid isn't spoiled rotten.

"I only wanted Sean to like me..."

"That's not a good excuse to endanger lives, kid."

"Yeah, I know." Cody wipes a tear. I couldn't resist the urge to wipe the rest off. "But I can't let him down. He trusts me now..."

"Is that more important than lives?"

"No. But more important than living up here."

I don't have a reply for that. He's caught me totally off-guard, and I can't even think to answer him. The meaning behind those words... "Cody, you're not saying—"

"He's lonely, Thomas. I—I don't want him to be lonely..."

"Cody?" A murmur from Sean catches my attention, and I decided what Cody said can be dwelled on later. "I'm still too sleepy to wake up for us to play—"

I faced him. "You're not sleeping again until you and I have a talk."

Sean opens his eyes and frowns at me. "What could you possibly want that couldn't wait until later?" There's a hint of old irritation in his voice, probably because he's still drowsy.

"Oh, I don't know." My voice is sarcastic, "Maybe I'd say something like 'You've put an entire population of kids in danger for your own selfish wishes' but maybe I can just simply that to 'What the fucking hell were you thinking idiot?'" He stares at me. "If you were even thinking, that is. Enabling a tracker." I growled furiously. "Did you ever stop to think about what might happen to the people up here if they came to collect you?"