Part 04.4

::SEAN::

"Phew." Cody slides onto the floor. "That—whatever that was—was heavy."

"Yes, even with your powers we had a much harder time lifting that generator than I anticipated. Still that was the last." Rhys squeezes his shoulder in thanks. "you two can stay here, take a breather. I'll see how other things are coming."

I sit by Cody's side. He tucks himself under my arm, and I don't mind at all. This relationship I have with him is accepted on the surface. Below—I fear otherwise. I'm supposed to be an emotionless power source. I probably wouldn't even be allowed to visit Cody-let alone touch him, even through a suit.

"I'll have to thank Rhys." Cody suddenly said.

"Why?"

"He asked our help—or my help—on purpose, knowing we'd finish sooner. Usually, I'm not allowed to help except with light things. Too clumsy."

"You're not clumsy." I tell him. "a little hasty, perhaps."

Cody smiles. "And you're not as mean as Thomas says. What did he tell you before?"

"Nothing much," I whispered. "that he was sorry he wasn't more understanding before and that he'd miss me."

"Really?" Cody gives me a delighted grin. "I bet the two of you could even become friends. If you stayed, that is."

I said nothing, I still don't know. And you'd think I should by now. We're running out of time.

"Oh no," Cody said shortly, into the silence.

"What?"

"Message from Trey." Cody said, holding his ear. "he wants us to leave. Now."

I don't want to leave this carriage. Or make the decision that will decide the rest of my life, and Cody's too. Although I'm not letting him come with me. He doesn't see how the underground would wear him away, he's too stubborn to even think of the possibility that he might be wrong—actually, that's kind of like me when I arrived.

"We have to go." Cody says, tugging me out of the train.

Trey is going over the evacuation plan with everybody. I watched him. He's so serious, when he's dealing with the other's safety. I'm glad he doesn't know about Cody's intentions. So maybe I still have time to talk him out of it—I must, if I will leave. I can be brutal and lie and just tell him I don't want him around, that I hate him—but I don't want to do that. The last tiny bit of my machine training whispers that it's illogical, that it may hurt him momentarily but it's for his greater benefit. But all I know is that I would face ten Rabid bears before I willingly hurt Cody.

Not that I won't hurt him, either way.

"Thank you Corrin, for raising me and all."

Corrin looks at Cody, surprised. "Uh, you're welcome, Cody." he patted his head. "I mean, you've already thanked me several times before, but now... Well, it is all of the sudden."

Yes, indeed—I wondered why...

"Lori, Meeko, thank you for always looking out for me during hunts and helping my training there!" Cody hugs the twins, even as the other is placed awkwardly on his brother's back. "You guys are the best!"