Chapter Two: The Leader

A young man stared out of the window. School was currently in session but frankly he had read all the textbooks several times and his mind was else where. Even though his mind was more occupied his professor didn't take kindly to him not paying attention and she yelled out his name.
"Donovan! Donovan Reactes!"
Donovan turned his head from the window pushing some of his blonde hair out of his face so he could see better.
"Pay attention, unless you intend on repaying for classes if you fail."
Donovan nodded and stared at the board. No matter how hard he stared though he simply couldn't keep his mind on space for once. Usually he'd be losing his mind but now it was focused on the woman with the long black hair. He rethought her words in his head over and over and over again, trying to understand their meaning.
Compassionate and kind.
What confused him was why on earth did his chest glow and what was she in order to change her appearance and so quickly. No species he had ever learned about in the academy told him of what she was. So there he sat, puzzled. Once class was over he gathered his things and made his way out of the university still thinking about that woman. Donovan made his way to the mansion he called home. The palace which is what it basically was had black wrought iron fences covering the property and in front of it stood the gate that wailed every time it moved. Donovan walked into his house and went to go up the stairs when his mother called him down. He followed her voice to the kitchen and she turned and gave him a creepily huge smile and kissed his cheek.
"How was school honey?"
"It was fine."
"You know with your grades and with you being 19 and all you could easily take the family business over."
"Look...mother I know that's what father and you want but I'm not interested in owning the company. I want to be a solider and fight for the good of humanity."
His mother's face almost instantly turned sour as she looked at her son like she had just seen a roach.
"You go on and on about this fighting for the good of humanity bullshit constantly, humanity has enough soldiers. We still need a successor and your the best of your brothers."
Donovan sighed.
"Mother I don't want to help trade intergalactically."
"You are a Vulkerion and Vulkerion's are proudly know for their goods. Are you happy with your culture and your people?"
"Of course I am mother."
Donovan pursed his lips as his mother went on and on about how he was ruining his life by trying to help humanity. They had lived on earth for two decades you think the woman would show more respect for humans but it seems as though she's arrogant as always. Once Donovan had enough of his ear getting chewed off he excused himself and made his way upstairs and into his room. He breathed deeply and threw his bag on his bed and plopped down beside it.
"I just want to help people. Is that too much to ask for?"
Donovan whispered as he stood up and walked to his window and opened it. He stared at all the stars glittering up in the sky.
"Compassionate huh?"
Donovan chuckled as he thought back to the woman. Every time he forgot about her she popped up in his memories again. She made him feel like he had a bigger purpose. Does he really?
Donovan looked down at his chest and ran his fingertips over the part the woman touched.
"Who am I meant to be?"
As if replying to him his TV flickered on and he heard a man speak.
"Uh...hi my name is Jared Keyes."
The man began speaking about the universe and saving it, that instantly drew Donovan's attention away from the window and directly in front of the TV. He then spoke about the woman and how his chest glowed when she touched him. Donovan's eyes widened.
"H-help save...the universe? Me?"
Once the TV flickered back off Donovan sat on the edge of his bed and repeated everything he just heard in his head. He was chosen along with that guy and it sounded like someone else was there to. Donovan smiled, whole heartedly as he popped up and grabbed a pen and flipped his calendar to a month from now and marked the day. He wasn't going to let this opportunity pass up no matter who didn't want him to do it. For some reason this woman chose him and the rest of this weird save the universe team. Donovan was gonna find out the reason.