Chapter Thirty-Three

Hi you guys!

A new chapter. Clothes-shopping with Terrance and June and Marc. And, to make sure it's not a bore, a cliffhanger at the end. What will happen? I won't say. You go read now.

Enjoy!

Oh, and I dedicated this chapter to Celestis, because she again amazed me with her drawing skills. It's a picture of Terrance, with such a cloak--beautiful. The detail is stunning. Inspiration to something I describe later in this chapter.

Oh, and there's an apple hidden somewhere in there! Try to find it!

-=-=-=-

          “So where have you been?”

          He shrugged again, as if he had not just suddenly disappeared after breakfast, telling them to meet him at the fountain—where they had waited for an hour for him to show! “I wanted to make sure that they were open,” he simply said gesturing June to follow him. She glanced at her bodyguard, then followed the werewolf over the large square.

          It was all empty; while normally, the whole marketplace was packed with stalls, at this moment, the place seemed abandoned. Except for the occasional stray child or beggar, there was no one to be seen.

          “Of course there isn’t,” said Terrance. “It’s a Sunday—they’re all in church right now.”

          “Sunday?” Was it really Sunday already? June tried piecing the days together, but it felt like she came up short.

          “Yep.”

          “But then… shouldn’t we be in church too?” She glanced at Marc.

          “I don’t think that’s—we’d better not. The mission is more important, and I don’t want to risk you getting recognized. Especially if you have to pull down your hood in church.”

          Terrance nodded in agreement. “Werewolves don’t do good in churches anyway. Too many crucifixes and other holy things. Of course, it’s not like we’d burst out in flames or anything, but… let’s not risk anything, right? And besides, there are other things to do.”

          “Like what?”

          The werewolf smiled and made an elegant gesture for June to follow him. He didn’t say anything, not even when she repeated her question for the sixth time, but led them through a maze of alleyways that he seemed to know by heart. Without hesitating for even as much as a second, he made one turn after another. However, June and Marc were less certain of their path. Though they had Terrance as their guide, she was sure she’d never be able to find her way back herself. The narrow streets, at times not wide enough for a horse, all looked like each other. The high buildings threw long shadows, making sure that no sunshine entered the maze.

          Church was in session, so most of the population of Dew was gathered there. Still, there seemed to be quite a number of people walking around here. Dressed in nothing more than rags, little children watched them with wary eyes as they walked through their streets. A mother with a crying baby sat in a doorway, making absolutely no effort in trying to quiet the infant; instead, all of her attention went out to the strangers that passed by. A few men talked with each other in hushed voices at the corner of a street, the group broke apart as soon as Terrance casted a gaze on them.