Chapter Nineteen

Yay, another chapter finished.

In my mind, this is really one of those in-between-chapters. I don't know why exactly; there is some stuff happening... But still...

What do you think?

Enjoy

-=-=-=-

          “Quiet here, isn't it?”

           June looked over her shoulder. Terrance was awake and climbing out of his coffin. He did not look the least bit drowsy, and she found herself wondering if he'd been waiting in silence before saying anything.

           He was right though; it really was quiet. After Marc's story, they had gone on travelling, and neither of them had said anything. She hadn't dared say anything—she was unsure whether or not Marc was still upset with her. The only sounds they'd been listening to were the sounds of the forest along with the rhythmic clopping of Bern's hooves.

           Now, however, noises of shifting bottles and tumbling books broke through the silence as Terrance made his way closer to the front of the wagon.

           “That was a nice nap,” he said as he sat down. “Did I miss anything funny while I was out?”

           “We considered slitting your throat,” Marc muttered, then glanced at June. “But we finally decided against it.”

           He nodded, not at all surprised. “I see why: wouldn't have been funny if I couldn't scream in agony, right?” He turned to the girl. “And how about you, dear June? What did you do? Anything interesting?”

           “N-No,” she said, making a conscious effort not to speak to quickly and reveal herself as a liar. The Oleyrean orb was back in Terrance's pocket, and she hoped he wouldn't find out what she had done. After all, if he knew that they knew...

           “So just been sitting here? How tiresome... Luckily, I'm here now to keep you busy.” He grinned, apparently unaware of June's awkwardness and the fact that she didn't turn to look at him, but instead kept her gaze set on the horizon. “Shall I tell a story?”

           “No.” If anything, she had heard enough stories for the day.

           He was silent for a moment, perhaps mistaking the no's for a bad mood. Perhaps she really was in a bad mood; after all, she had learned that Terrance had sold her to... to someone. She didn't quite know how she felt about that—she was upset, angry... but some part of her told her it wasn't true. After all, Terrance had saved them as well.

           That was the reason why she hadn't told Marc of the voice in the orb: there was too little evidence to convict Terrance of any crime. He would think otherwise, of course, so she didn't tell him that the voice had admitted Terrance's deal.

           Behind her, the werewolf shuffled somewhat, making a few grunting noises—and a soft yelp of excitement.