Chapter Thirty-Seven

So yeah, Camp NaNoWriMo has started. Here's two chapters.

-=-=-=-

          Frustrated, he paced back and forth through the small prison cell. June followed him with her gaze, tired of waiting. Though he had claimed that it would be a piece of cake, escaping this prison, upon further investigation of their cell he had quickly noticed it was a lot harder than he'd guessed. He had searched all of the room for an entrance to an hidden passageway. Every stone on every wall, he had examined to make sure there was no hidden lever. And even underneath the dirty straw, he had looked. However, it was all of no use.

          “Give it up already,” June said. She was sick of watching him pace back and forth. “We're locked in a prison cell. There is only one exit and that's it. You aren't going to find anything in the walls.” She gestured at the door. “And you aren't going to break that down; we don't have the power to, thanks to that ring...” She sighed. “Well, at least there's no guard behind the door. I guess that ought to count for something.”

          “That's actually a bad thing,” said Terrance. “If there had been a guard, we could have convinced him.”

          “Convinced him to do what?”

          “To open the door—trust me, I'd be able to,” he added. “But unfortunately, Roy seems to have thought of that. The only reason why he wouldn't station a guard here is that he fears I would use it... bastard.”

          He kept pacing, giving June reason to sigh yet again. Of course he knew he was getting on her nerves—how could he not, after she made it so obvious? But he didn't care about it and continued going back and forth, trying to think of a way out. Why he didn't just give up, June had no clue. Already, he had spend hours considering all kinds of possibilities, without any results.

          June wasn’t sure how much time had passed since they’d been imprisoned, but she suspected that by now, the sun was setting. Her stomach growled; she was hungry. She hadn’t eaten since breakfast. And even though she wore the silver ring—Terrance told her to wear it since it would help with the bloodlust—it was hard to ignore the empty feeling of hunger. She wished she had eaten more for breakfast, or that she had taken an apple with her. She doubted that she could sleep like this and the thought of going days without food, it made her feel even worse.

          “Ugh, I don’t even know!” Terrance exclaimed. “Hell, I have no clue how to get out. There’s no hidden doors and I can’t pick this lock. All we can do is wait for someone to get us.”

          For a moment, June believed he had given up. That moment was short-lived; with a sudden growl of anger, he stormed at the door, bashing his shoulder into the hard wood with as much strength as he could muster. The door didn’t move an inch. Terrance, however, staggered back from the blow, tripped and landed on the floor. He didn’t move, only moaned.

          “You alright?” June asked. She didn’t sound worried though, just annoyed. She could have told him that wouldn’t work.

          “Yes—ouch. Don’t repeat after me.”

          “Are you going to get up, or will you keep lying there?”

          “I think I am getting up…” He tried pushing up his body, but let himself fall down again quickly. “I may have injured my shoulder,” he said.

          She sighed, which made him turn over to face her.

          “Is there something? Anything you want to say?” he asked.