Home Again

Mom hurried us out the door and down to the car. The hospital called and dad was being released. Brian tried to beat me to the front seat and we wound up scuffling on the driveway. Mom threatened to go without us and we quickly climbed inside, excited and eager to see dad. I got in the front.

"We have a consensus in the department on your husband's condition, Mrs. Howe." The doctor pushed his glasses back up his nose and consulted the file before him on the desk. We were all sitting nervously in the corridor down from the nurse's station. "It appears to be what we call an idiopathic condition. In other words, we just don't know what caused it or exactly what it is. What we do know," he added hastily seeing mom's expression, "is that whatever it was seems to have passed and all his signs are pretty much normal."

"Pretty much?"

"Well he's a little weak from the experience and will need to rest at home for a while but vitals are all normal."

"I guess you're glad Doctor Steadman didn't operate." I said.

"Molly!"

"Doctor Steadman did disagree with the majority." The doctor said, staring at me. "And yes, it was fortunate. As I said, these events are classified as-"

"Idiopathic, yes. Thank you Doctor. Can we see him now?" Mom dragged me out of my chair and steered me toward the door. Brian was all a glee over my stupid remark.

"Of course. I'll take you to the nurse's station and you can speak with the charge nurse. They'll take you up or ask you to wait while they bring your husband down."

A tall, pretty woman wearing an understated suit instead of a uniform came around the counter smiling and taking mom's hand as they were introduced. The doctor nodded his head, giving me a nasty glare, and left with a final comforting wish and we all waited a beat before speaking.

"I'm Ann Hairston, Doctor Steadman's assistant and for today, the station charge nurse. The Doctor is in surgery this afternoon so he said to tell you that he would arrange to see you sometime before the end of the week to go over the medication and any questions you might have. I'm so pleased your husband has responded so positively. You must have been worried sick."

Mom glared at me, knowing that I wanted to ask about Garret's dad, and thanked the nurse politely. Garret was right, this nurse seemed like a really nice person and she was very pretty too.

"I really would just like to see him and get him home."

"Of course. He should be down any minute. I just need you to sign the release papers and I have a bag of his things under the counter."

"What are these medications you mentioned?"

"Oh just some pills to relax him and some vitamins the doctor recommends. Not a big deal really." Ann set the brown paper bag on the counter and dealt expertly with the forms.

While mom signed the forms and checked the bag, the nurse smiled at me and tried to make pleasant conversation, asking all the expected questions about being happy to see my dad and so on. I looked at mom and then decided to take the chance.

"I know Garret Steadman. He went to my school."

"Does he! Well it so happens that I also know Garret. He's a very nice boy."

"He likes you." Nurse Hairston blinked and blushed and she and mom traded looks. The one I got from mom next spelled major trouble.

"I think you had better go and sit in the waiting room, young lady." Brian wiggled fingers in his ears from behind mom.

The elevator doors opened and a young orderly, who was laughing and leaning down as they talked, wheeled out dad. They both laughed again and then dad's smile froze as he saw mom. She waited until he came to a halt beside her and then she leaned down and kissed him warmly. He saw Brian and I and held out his arms. mom blinked her assent as I looked at her before running to dad, bumping for position with Brian.

"Whoah! Give a guy a chance to get out of this place before you send him back." We climbed down from his lap and jockeyed for position to push the wheelchair, losing out to the orderly who said it was the rule of the hospital. Outside we could do what we wanted.

"There's Garret," Brian shouted as we came out of the hospital and into the parking lot.

Garret shambled over and nodded a hello to us, standing back as dad lifted himself out of the wheelchair and, with the orderly's help, settled against the passenger side of the car.

"Dad, this is Doctor Steadman's son, Garret." I nudged him forward for dad to see him.

Dad held out his hand and they both shook. "I understand I owe your dad a debt of thanks." Garret blushed and looked at me. "Please tell him I hope to thank him personally as soon as I can." Dad staggered back a little and we all rushed forward in a panic. "It's okay, it's okay. Just a little weak from lying in bed so long. Let's get into the car and get home."

"I like that nurse," I whispered to Garret as I was climbing in the car. His face froze in a wan smile and he raised one hand in a tiny wave as we drove away. Out the rear window I saw the nurse come out and speak to Garret; she draped one arm over his shoulder and drew him close. I thought about his family and felt badly, particularly since ours was so very relieved and happy again.

Jean took her foot off the gas and the car coasted to a slow crawl on the exit drive. Her eyes were glued to the rearview mirror and her face was pale. A man had joined Garret and the nurse along with the several other hospital staff and they were all shielding their eyes from the sun and waving goodbye.

I see a crowd of people standing closely together and waving. The sun is shining brightly and there is happiness and love filling the air.

"We're so glad you're back, dad, it's going to great at home again." Brian bubbled excitedly.

Mom gave a slight gasp and found my eyes in the mirror, our thoughts connecting with an eerie realization.

Dad was on a long journey that would bring him to a place where everything was warm and wonderful and that he would be surrounded with more love than he ever had before.