Garret

"A nice family, don't you think?" Ann remarked.

"A happy one now, for sure." Frank answered. He had finished early in surgery but failed to get down in time to meet the family. They kept waving, watching the vehicle finally leave the drive and disappear into the traffic.

"I wish ours was."

Frank Steadman and Ann exchanged a silent looked over his son's head. "How about a bite to eat? I think today's good deed deserves a treat."

"All of us?" Garret asked, looking at them.

"Of course all of us. We're a team aren't we?" He blinked and looked sideways at Ann who avoided his eyes.

The steak dinner forty-eight hours ago had been an awkward thrill. Alone, just the two of them in the dim light of the dining room, bathed in soft romantic music over the clink of crystal and china. Frank had seemed so relaxed and open, talking about the case with a confident ease she hadn't seen in months.

When she balked at a bottle of wine he chided her and enlisted the aid of the waiter to coax her into trying some. The meal had been wonderful and Ann had eagerly joined his happy mood, almost forgetting that he was married.

He had seen her to her door in a cab and when she leaned back in to say thank you and goodnight, he had drawn his fingers down her cheek and thanked her for everything in the past. His touch felt like warm electricity that set her skin tingling. Ann had watched the taxi drive off and with difficulty, through blurred eyes, managed to fumble the key into the lock and find her way inside.

***

Dippy Diner was notable for its forties decor, tabletop arcade games and huge artery clogging hamburgers. A bright green vinyl booth curved around a Formica table with a pattern of tiny pink stars. The menus were tall and thin in stark contrast to the clientele who looked like they took all their meals at the Dippy Diner.

"Our colleagues would gag if they could see us eating here," Ann joked.

"Can't go through life without some risk. What do you think you'd like? The burgers are to die for."

"You're sure their not to die from, eh."

Garret laughed and beamed at the adults across from him. Ann was so nice and dad always seemed to smile when they were together. "I'm having the Pile Driver and a milkshake. Chocolate."

"What on earth is a Pile Driver?" Ann studied the menu and gasped when she read the description. "Garret, you couldn't possibly."

"Sure I can. We've had them before, right dad?"

"Doctor Steadman! I'm putting you on report. That's simply greedy indulgence."

"Actually Carol and I shared one." The remark seemed to hang heavily over the trio and there was a lot of throat clearing and menu reading by all.

"You should have the Toreador, Miss Hairston. It's really good too." Garret tried desperately to rekindle the smiles that both the adults had dropped.

"Hmm, the Toreador. Let's see." Ann ran a finger down the list. "Oh my goodness! Garret, how much do you think I can eat?" She gave him a mock frown and shook her head. "I think I'll just have the Village Greens and some garlic bread."

They laboured through the huge servings, laughing occasionally about calories, relaxed with coffee and a milkshake for Garret, played a few games on the machine and finally, reluctantly, left. Garret sat in the car while his dad walked Ann to her door. He watched without being obvious as they stood talking and then touched hands before she turned and hurried inside.