Garret

Following the night Carol had arrived home with her friend Gerry, she and Garret's dad fought continually. The arguments ranged from responsibility to attention to empty promises to greedy inconsideration and back again, each of them alternately gaining and losing the upper hand. Jean stayed away from the house as much as possible, her sole interest her hopeful modeling career, creating another avenue for complaint, and Garret remained in his room or went out alone until bedtime.

After a few weeks of bitter scrapping, Carol appeared in the front hall with a suitcase and several boxes of things she argued were rightfully hers. Dad threw up his hands and gave in, yelling that he was happy she was finally leaving and good riddance. They threatened one another with lawyers and Carol left when a taxi arrived, piling her things carelessly inside the vehicle much to the driver's dismay.

The family held a brief meeting when they were all together and Frank Steadman announced that he was getting a divorce and that they would have to begin accepting a little adult responsibility around the house since his job kept him away for long, irregular periods. Garret agreed happily. Being rid of Carol was a huge relief. Jean just continued to moan about her needs but was outvoted and at a great disadvantage as the sole female.

For a while things weren't too bad but as time passed the family slowly drifted apart. Frank spent large amounts of his time at the hospital, Jean took every opportunity to be out with friends and Garret grew lonelier each day.

*****

The news came like a bolt from the blue. Ann couldn't believe what the hospital rumour mill was spewing about Frank Steadman. How had she not known? Why didn't he say anything? A surge of guilty elation passed through her thoughts and she scolded herself for feeling the way she did.

He was due just before noon for surgery and she noticed on his schedule that three days the following week were blanked out with no indication as to why. Ann presumed it was personal, possibly for legal proceedings. She stared at the files on her desk and saw only the image of the man she'd admired for so long; work was going to suffer today.

"Doctor Steadman. Doctor Harrisburgh would like to see you in his office before you head up to surgery." The desk Nurse called as Frank strode past the station.

"Did he say why?"

"No, Doctor. Sorry."

Frank made a right turn and headed down the hall to the offices, pausing to toss his coat over the chair inside the door of his own. Ann looked up expectantly, preparing her face in a welcome smile but he didn't stop and she sagged disappointedly.

"Morning, Victor, you wanted to see me?"

"Frank, yes. Take a chair, I'll just be a sec." Victor Harrisburgh tapped sporadically at the keyboard in front of him, muttering and cursing softly as he backspaced repeatedly. "There. God I hate these things."

He shoved his chair back and faced Frank. "You're in surgery this morning?"

"Yes. A splenectomy on Mrs. Walther. It's scheduled for eleven-fifteen."

"Right, right. Listen, Frank, there's a rumour going around about- uhm- about you and your- about you and Carol." Frank pulled a face and sat forward. "I know!" Victor held up a hand. "It's not our business but I need to be certain that emotionally you are competent to continue as an operating surgeon while this- your- your personal affairs are being sorted. out."

"I'm fine, Victor. In fact I feel better now than I have for a long time. since Nadine died really." He caught the older man's sympathetic look. "Carol was a big mistake on my part. It seemed very convenient at the time but it was not right. for either of us."