June 8th 2017~ Lucy

When I woke up this morning, I was so happy. I had just had a good dream about Lockwood and I; we were walking alongside a bubbling stream, just talking nonsense, and he leaned in to kiss me.

I've just now remembered yesterday's events. They hit me like a truck. Now that I've calmed down a bit, I've come to a conclusion.

I'm not mad at him. How can I be? Sure, there are better ways to break up with your long term girlfriend, but maybe he just needed to get that out, maybe it was a long time coming.

I climbed out of bed tiredly and slowly rummaged through my closet. A few skirts, LOTS of black leggings, my favorite hoodie- it would all fit easily into the suitcase stowed under my bed. All the extra trinkets and photographs on my dresser had no trouble fitting into the small space, either. I tidied up a bit and for the rest of that hour, I worked to make sure it looked as though I'd never stepped foot in that attic at all.

George was still snoring when I passed his room, rolling my suitcase as quietly as I could. I'd miss him, that was for sure. George had always been the person I could talk to about anything- relationship drama, self-confidence issues, you name it.

Leaving the beige case with my belongings by the door, I snuck into the kitchen to grab a biscuit for the road. Surprisingly, Lockwood sat with his back to me, head in his hands and sobbing silently. The only way I even knew he was crying was the soundless shaking of his shoulders. I'd never seen him so upset.

"Lockwood, what's wrong?" I asked gently. I put a hand on his shoulder but he flinched and shrugged it off.

"Why don't you hate me?"

I was confused, obviously. "What do you mean? You broke up with me, it's fine; I get it. I don't hate you over that."

"You were supposed to."

I narrowed my eyes. "Can you.. clarify, please?"

"He told me... to make.. you hate me... with all of your heart," he whimpered between sobs.

"Lockwood, who's 'he'?"

"The skull." He shook his head. "You'll hate me now if you didn't before."

"What happened? How can you hear it?"

"I can't tell you-" he began and I sighed.

"I don't have time for this, I have a train to catch."

At this, he whipped his head up and turned to look at me pleadingly. "No, no, please no, y-you've gotta stay, I have to protect you..." he trailed off, eyes watering again.

"What happened to the skull?" I asked firmly.

"I... dropped it. It shattered and threatened to hurt you. I said I'd do anything... just as long as it wouldn't touch you."

I rolled my eyes. "Lockwood, that's a great story, but you don't have to make something up to spare my feelings."

"This isn't a joke!" he yelled. "I'm serious!" His voice cracked emotionally on the last word. When did he get so good at acting?

I rubbed my temple. "I have to go. Goodbye, Lockwood. Thanks for everything," I said, smiling sincerely.

He just stood there in shock, staring daggers at his feet.

I left. I didn't look back.

It's about noon right now; I'm writing from the window seat of a train. I've been thinking. What if he didn't make that up? What if he still..

But I can't think like that. Honestly, I don't even know where this train is going. All I care is that it's speeding far away from my past.

YESTERDAY WAS MY BIRTHDAY THATS WHY I COULDNT POST IM SORRY SKSJAJSJSJ ITS LIKE 6 AM HERE AND I JUST WOKE UP BUT HAD THIS PREWRITTEN SO I HAVENT TYPED LOCKWOODS PART YET ILL HAVE IT UP ASAP BUT I GTG TO SCHOOL SO YA SORRY ABOUT THE LATE UPDATE IM REALLY WORKING ON GETTING THEM WRITTEN FASTER

THANKS I LOVE U ALLLL