Chapter Twenty-Six

Here we go again ... the plot bunny just couldn't stay away. Persistent little fucker. Originally, this began as a dream. When I woke up, I wrote down as much as I could, but it's morphed into something different.

Bella's awake. She's well on her way to recovery. Charlie's there. You'll hear more from him next time. I love Charlie. He's awesome. I only wish my dad was as awesome as Charlie, but alas, he's not. Meh ... But, Bella and Edward professed their love. YAY! Where do we go from here?

Chapter Twenty-Six

Edward scrambled out of the bed and smoothed his sweater. Bella crossed her arms, mindful of the tubing, and glowered at her Dad. She went to open her mouth, but wrinkled her nose. She picked up the board, scribbling on it. We were having a MOMENT, Father. Jeez!

Dr. Charles Swan had a matching glower to his daughter. "I just flew across the fucking country, Isabella Marie. My only child was caught in an earthquake. It seemed like a priority to get here, young lady," he chided, his mustache twitching. He put down his bag and walked over to her, brushing her hair back. She smiled, but it was wavering. The strong woman, the one who fought to protect Jake was starting to crumble. "Oh, baby girl," Charlie crooned, hugging her. She bit out a sob, clinging to his shirt.

"I'll give you a moment," Edward said. "Are my parents in the waiting room?"

"They were ambushed by an Esme Cullen. She said she had to pick something up for Jake, whoever that is, and dragged them back to their house," Charlie responded. "We're all staying with them."

"Oh," Edward said. "Okay."

Bella tugged on her dad's sleeve, picking up the dry erase board. I'm very happy you're here, Dad. I really am. Did you tell Mom?

"I tried to leave a message on her cell phone, but the number was disconnected. I sent her an email, but it was bounced back. Finally, I reached out to her jerk wad attorney. He wouldn't tell me if he knew where she was, but when I told him about the earthquake, he did say that he'd get a message to her," Charlie sighed. "Selfish, egotistical bitch."

"Dad," Bella chided, clearly frustrated with her father's commentary about her mother.

"Sorry," Charlie grumbled. "The woman cheats on me for years and doesn't give two shits about our only child? Fuck that nonsense. You're just as pissed off, Isabella Marie."

"I understand, Dr. Swan," Edward said, giving Charlie a sympathetic grin. Charlie just glowered at him again. Edward's gaze dropped to the ground and he took a deep breath, trying not to lose his temper. Perhaps, stepping away would the smartest decision. "Seriously, I'll give you two some time. I'm going to check in with my parents and get something to eat."

Bella waved her hand. Can you get me some pizza?

"Probably not, gorgeous. You're on a liquid diet until the aggravation in your throat dies down from the breathing tube," Edward snorted. "I'll talk to the nurses and see if they can bring up a tray for you. Chicken broth, jello and water. Yum."

You suck, Dr. Masen, Bella wrote, pouting adorably.

"But, you love me," he quipped and Bella melted. Yeah, I do. Edward blushed, giving her a rare radiant smile and he ducked out of the room.

"So, that's Dr. Masen," Charlie sang, sitting down and crossing his legs. "And you love each other." Bella nodded. "When did this happen, baby girl?"

We've been seeing each other for a while now, but we only just admitted it seconds before you interrupted us, Dad, Bella wrote. He's a good man and he really does understand how you feel with Mom and shit. I don't know his whole story, but he was hurt by his ex. Tremendously.