23

***
Chanyeol's stuck wearing the stupid apron.

Under any other circumstances, he'd think someone was pulling some strings, but he'd seen Kyungsoo at the end of his shift yesterday, and the cook had been stuffy-nosed and especially irritable. Predictably, Kyungsoo decided to stay home today.

It's not a surprise that Sehun and Jongin are doing God knows what out back. Chanyeol's heard multiple questionable thumping noises and accompanying groans that he really hopes are out of pain.

Naturally, Chanyeol fills their role in the kitchen to prepare the last customers' dishes for the night, though not without entertaining the idea of smacking both Sehun and Jongin with a length of boiled spaghetti when they get back.

Problem is, there aren't any spare aprons on hand. Jongdae sends Chanyeol the biggest shit-eating smile when Chanyeol sucks down all self-respect and asks him where his goddamn apron is.

Chanyeol knows he's screwed when Baekhyun bursts into the kitchen. It takes barely a moment for his eyes to land on the apron and read the bright bubble letters framing a pair of embroidered red lips on the front.

Baekhyun looks up. "'Kiss the cook,' huh?" he asks, an impish grin starting at the corner of his mouth. Chanyeol idly wonders whether everyone's lips are that pink or if it's just Baekhyun.

He's not sure whether Baekhyun's words or his own thoughts catch him more off guard. In any case, Chanyeol promptly drops the spatula he'd been using to stir the penne, which clangs off the stove and very nearly falls to the floor, though he's somehow able to catch it with his flailing limbs. He balances the spatula safely on a clean plate before turning down the flame and facing Baekhyun.

"Yup," Chanyeol pops the 'p.' He lowers his gaze to the apron tied around his waist in distaste. "It was a gift. Kind of," he explains.

He's not even sure how to interpret Baekhyun's little smile anymore. It's a little secretive and he's a little bit close and the whole situation is just somehow differentfrom how they usually joke around. Staring at Chanyeol's face, Baekhyun looks a little contemplative instead.

"Is that an invitation?" Baekhyun teases, but it sounds too serious, his gaze open and heavy at the same time. He tilts his head innocently.

It's a joke, it's just a joke it must be a joke, Chanyeol reminds himself and he bites hard on the inside of his cheek because he feels like he might do something stupid if he doesn't. Chanyeol can feel the warmth radiating from Baekhyun's body and there's the tiniest mole at the corner of his lip (Christ, he's so pouty) and Chanyeol's stomach swoops when he wonders how Baekhyun might react if he just leaned in a little closer.

Chanyeol forces a laugh that sounds borderline hysterical. "What are you talking about? Of course not," Chanyeol says, only because he's physically unable to manage anything else.

Baekhyun stares for just a beat longer before starting toward Chanyeol, probably to take the dishes from him. Chanyeol, for some reason, is beyond tense and jumps up to fling the kitchen doors open.

"I've got it! You can just, uh," Chanyeol waves his free hand frantically, "chill out with the pasta here. I'll just deliver this personally. Good customer service and all. I'll see you in a bit!" He peeks out of the corner of his eye to see that Baekhyun is standing still, and for some reason, he can't shake the unsettling feeling that Baekhyun's disappointed.