Chapter One: The Not So Average Work Day

A/N: This chapter, and the rest of the chapters to come, will be in the POV of Erika Gray. Enjoy! **NOT EDITED**

Chapter One: The Not So Average Work Day

I woke to the sound of pots crashing against each other.

My eyes pried themselves open, only to instantly close again. I didn’t take too kindly to sun in my eyes in the morning.

Damn this!” I heard an angry voice shout from the kitchen. I sighed, knowing he’d be coming in here any second.

I peeled myself out of bed, not wanting to get up and go to work. I got ready as quickly as I could before heading out into the main area of the apartment.

I sighed when I spotted the mess in the kitchen. There were ingredients and cooking tools scattered all over the counters and the floor.

“Erika,” I heard his voice from the other side of the room. “Make me some breakfast, okay?”

I nodded, looking up at him. He was dressed casually in a t-shirt and shorts. He must not be working today – again. “Of course, Kane.”

I quickly whipped up some scrambled eggs and toast, then cleaned the mess in the kitchen. I handed Kane his food, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before grabbing my bag and shoes.

“When are you getting home tonight, Eri?” he asked. I answered him without turning around.

“Probably around seven. You know how Mr. Stark is.”

And with that, I left. As soon as I was out of the building, I breathed a sigh of relief. Kane was usually docile in the morning, but not when he was hungover. Today was a good day so far.

I then began my walk to Stark Tower, my ear-buds in and my iPod on. My iPod was a special type. My boss, Tony Stark, had given it to me one year for Christmas. He’d modified it so that it self-charged.

Thinking of Mr. Stark, I’d only really talked to him a handful of times. I was a secretary for Stark Industries, so most of our conversations were business. And the other times, he was flirting.

I rolled my eyes when I thought of his attempts. He knew I was in a relationship, but I guess it was just in his personality to flirt.

I was about a block away from work when I noticed something in the corner of my eye. I looked to my left, toward the street, and noticed someone that was walking past me.

He was wearing a black suit and a green patterned scarf. His hair was what caught my attention the most, though. It was black as night and slicked back, and it touched his shoulders.

I looked after him, but he’d disappeared into the crowd. I then glanced across the street, and froze.

He was standing on the curb, dressed in a strange outfit. It looked to be made of leather and metal; all green, black, and gold.

I was frozen to the spot, mouth slightly agape. What?

Then, a bus passed, and he was gone.

Tentatively, I continued on my walk to work. Was I hallucinating? Surely, this couldn’t be real.

Just as that thought crossed my mind, the man appeared right in front of me. I ran right into him, and he roughly snaked one of his arms around my waist. Terrified, I attempted to squirm free, but to no avail.

He didn’t spare me a glance as a golden sceptre appeared in his hand. The blue light in the centre started to glow, and I instantly blacked out.

----------

When I woke up, I had no idea where I was. The room I was in was made of a yellowing tile, and the floors were cement. I had to squint to see because there was hardly any light.

I tried to remember ever leaving the busy streets of New York, but I couldn’t recall a thing. It was just the man with the sceptre, and then waking up here.

To say I was terrified would be an understatement. I had no clue where I was, why I was here, or who took me.

A deep rooted wave of fear washed over me. Would I ever be free again?

Just as I was working myself into a nervous wreck, the door on the far side of the room opened.

I had to bite my lip – hard – to keep from screaming when the man from earlier walked in. He was wearing the same unusual garb from before, I noted.

I pushed myself back against the cold wall, hoping to show him to keep his distance.

“Who are you?” I questioned, sounding braver than I felt.

A smirk played on his lips when he answered, “I’ll tell you who I am when you tell me who you are.”

I stopped, debating on whether or not to tell him anything. Wait, I thought. If he doesn’t know who I am, why did he kidnap me?

Finally, my curiosity got the best of me, and I said, “I am Erika Gray. And you?”

“I am Loki.” The smirk never once left his face. “Now, what are you?”

I paused. How does someone answer a question like that?

“What do you mean?”

Loki narrowed his eyes. “What. Are. You?

Well, that was a complete change in mood, I thought. “Uh, I’m . . . a secretary?”

He laughed, and shook his head. “You do not understand what it is that I am asking of you.”

I gave him a pointed look. “Uh, yeah, that’s kinda what I’ve been trying to convey here.”

Loki let out a long, frustrated breath. “What I meant to ask is what realm you come from.”

I stared blankly at him. “Realm?”

“Yes, realm,” he snapped. He took a deep breath before continuing. “I know you’re not human.”

I just looked at him like he was crazy. “Listen, I don’t know what kind of drugs you’re on, but -,”

His features hardened. He walked up to where I sat cowering against the wall and pulled me up roughly by my arms. I tried to push myself back out of his grip, but it was pointless. He was far stronger than I was.

“Do not insult me, you insolent wench. I am a god and the rightful king of Asgard.” Loki hissed. Then, he sighed, his features relaxing once again. “I can tell that you truly believe you’re human, but know that you are not.”

He let go of my arms and I dropped to the floor with a thud. He then turned, and left the room.