Chapter 4

10 years later

Lucy's POV

Blue.

Big, blue eyes were the first thing I saw when I was shaken awake. After I processed that there was a body on top of me, I groaned and pushed my brother off.

"What do you want Bailer" I sleepily groaned while rolling over in my bed.

"It's your birthday Lucy, duh, what do you wanna do? Mom said to ask you" his still high pitched voice stammered.

Chuckling, I turned to him and cracked a sly smirk, "Well I don't want to hangout with 10 year old brothers, that's for sure."

He caught on to my joke and let out a a playful "Hey" while nudging me.

"Give me a minute Bai." I dismissed him. After he gave me a swift nod and left my room, I let out a sigh and stared upward. To most people, birthdays are supposed to be fun and celebratory, but to me, my birthday meant horrid memories and the beginning of The Reaping. The awful time of year when human girls as women would be dragged into the bottom of the water down by what the human men know as the shadows.

I only have a few memories before my reaping day, my fourth birthday, and all of them are with my father. I don't know much about him, but I know he is the reason why my mother and I, along with my brother, are here.

Not wanting to worry about it any further, I busied myself with getting ready. Starting with my hair, I neatly braided it to the side and placed a few white, flower-like plants I found while exploring an underwater cave into the light purple braid and adjusted the pendants I was forced to wear as a mark of royalty. My hair changes color frequently on command and is rarely my natural blonde. My brother has the same gift, but hasn't yet mastered it yet.

I chose a white, laced, off the shoulder shirt and checked my face in the mirror, the edges of my eyes are black and winged instead of the smooth pink in human eyes, I also have smaller sharper teeth, and pointed ears, just like the rest of my kind. I nodded in satisfaction and grabbed my tan shoulder strap bag, then made my way out of my room.

My house was average, well maybe slightly bigger, well a lot bigger, but I didn't think much of it. My mother does well, being ruler of our community, along with a third of the earths waters, and I try not to use it to my advantage. However, she and Bailer love the idea of luxury, I admit it is nice, just sometimes to much, I'm not ungrateful, I just think we could do with out it.

I found my kitchen and same as every year, my mother and Bailer were at the table with a white and red cake with the words "Happy Birthday Lucy" on the top. I smiled at the comfort and thanked them while giving them a hug. We ate the breakfast my mother prepared and we began conversation, however the entire time, I couldn't pay attention with the approaching reaping at mind.

"Lucy, did you hear me?" My mother snapped me out of my thoughts.

"What, sorry I was thinking." I apologized.

She smiled, "It's fine, I asked what you wanted to do today, I know it's not the happiest day for you and if you want to be by yourself, or with friends that's fine, just let me know if you plan to be out all night."

Was this really happening, I never get to stay out as late as I want.

"Yes ma'am, thank you" I quickly responded.

Soon, it came time to leave and the horror show that everyone else in this town seemed to love. All to quickly, we were taking our place at the beginning of what my people consider to be a festival. My mother as always cleared her throat when everyone was settled and arose. Her much larger, red pendant, that sparkled in the sun, gleamed and she began to spoke.