One Step Behind

(Warnings: none)

"Style by Da. Did you get dressed your eyes close?"

Bard snorted at Sigrid's fond mockery.

"Not necessarily but blinded by love," confirmed Bain joining the conversation and ongoing teasing of their father. Since the days of the Battle of the Five Armies their physical appearance had changed a lot. They were no longer children but young adults. Time had served them well, and Bain was picking up after his father's ragged charm. He knew how to dress better than his father, though, thanks to giving in to the continuous suggestions of his sister's. Sigrid on the other hand had started to resemble her late mother a lot.

"Where is Tilda?" Bard asked trying to dodge the verbal arrows. His children had taken in rather well the news about his relationship with Thranduil. Tilda, the youngest and most outspoken of the three, had even stated 'I knew it!' quite triumphantly.

"Probably still in bed," Sigrid replied placing a plate in front of her father. Bard had indeed been crowned the King of Dale, but the family still lead a rather ordinary life. This was because Bard wasn't exactly fan of all the fuss and attention his status brought. Therefore they had only the absolute necessary service staff, and the things they had time for, they did themselves.

"Still?"

"It's just a guess, Da."

Bard nodded grabbing a slice of bread. He was soon left alone with Sigrid as Bain left to deal with some problem concerning a few couple newly recruited guards. Bard had had to admit himself a few things. First of all he found it pleasant to be able to rely on the two of his eldest children with the duties of the kingdom. But second he was aching to see his little children having grown into teens and young adults. He knew they would soon start to build their own lives outside the family. They would grow their own branches, follow their own paths that lead away from him.

Despite this suffering he was ready to support his children with their choices. He had already asked more than enough from them. Bain, Sigrid and Tilda had had to cope with the passing of their mother; with the dragon Smaug destroying their home; and with their father falling head over heels for the sassy Elvenking.

"Let go!"

Bard had been in his thoughts and not noticed Tilda entering the dining hall. Now the girls were bickering over whatever reason.

"But it's mine!" Tilda screamed with all her teenage tantrum.

"No it is not!"

"You gave it to me because you didn't want it anymore!"

"I never did that! Da!" Sigrid yelled turning to their father for aid.

Bard was still utterly confused. He stared at his daughters eyebrows raised a bit. And they climbed even higher when he realized the girls were fighting over a belt.

"You can both use it taking turns," Bard suggested democratically. Sigrid looked at him as if he had just told her to kiss an orc and stormed out. Bard sighed. It was not a good morning. He had said something to upset Thranduil and now Sigrid was throwing tantrum.

* * * * *

The Elvenking was fiddling with small silver scissors in his hand. They were decorated with floral engravings and used to belong to Thranduil's mother once. Losing his parents was amongst the worst events of his long life, but he trusted that they had found their way to the Halls of Mandos, and that he would be rejoining their company one day. For the time being he had more urgent matters on his mind.