August

• Dedicated to Jamie

August

I'm back home! I cheer as I plop onto my bed. Don't get me wrong, I love France. However, as they say, home is where the heart is. Sherri's gone, and so are her parents, but we have some new guests. Derek and Brandon decide to follow us across the Atlantic and to Delaware. Something about Aunt Olivia having to travel for the next month or so. I'm excited though.

Amanda was right, I did find another guy in France; Brandon. We're a couple now. It mostly had to do with us always hanging around each other....and Derek and Marcus playing wingmen. It worked out well in the end.

There's a knock on the door.

“Emily.” It's Brandon.

“Come in,” I say, getting up from my bed. The door opens and reveals the blond haired Britain. He comes over and pulls me close.

“I like your room,” he says, looking around. I put my hands on his shoulders and push him away playfully.

“Hey British boy. If my dad catches you up here, he'll send your ass on the next flight back to England,” I say. Then I wrap my hands back around his neck. “And I want to spend as much time as I can with you.” He smiles and leans in, giving me a peck on the lips.

“We have one month together before we have to wait another year,” he says with a sigh. “Let's make the most of it.” I smile and nod.

“I'll take you to my favorite places,” I say and drag him out of the house. I head straight toward the park. We walk hand in hand on the sidewalk. This is the happiest I've felt in a long time. I'm back home, my boyfriend is with me, and we're going to the park. My favorite park.

For a while, we just aimlessly walk through the pathway that weaves in the park. A lot of people are around; familiar faces, unfamiliar faces of all kind. We talk about everything and anything. There are never any awkward silences between us. After a while, we take a seat on a bench. It's right near the pine tree. I notice it's also near the spot where I broke up with Nick.

Nick. I haven't seen him since the last day of school of junior year. Both cars were in the driveway this morning, so he's probably home. I wonder how he's been. For a moment, I daydream about his face. The amazing forrest green eyes that capture me every time I look into them. I freeze. What am I thinking? Brandon's my boyfriend, not Nick. I told myself I would move on, and I did.

“Emily? Are you alright?” Brandon asks. I blink a few times and look at him. His color-changing eyes are filled with worry. I smile at him.

“Yeah. Just reminiscing,” I say, leaning against his shoulder. He wraps his arms around my waist, and we just sit in silence for a while.

“Are we still going to be a couple after I leave at the end of the month?” Brandon suddenly asks. I keep my gaze focused on the pine tree.

“I don't know,” I admit.

“Do you think there's a future with us, pass this?” he asks.

“I don't know,” I say again. “I wanted to wait until the last second to decide this. Now I just wanna spend it with you. I don't wanna think about you going back to England yet.” I see him nod and feel him hold me tighter.

“It's okay. No matter what happens, I'll always be here for you,” he says, kissing the top of my head. I sigh and smile at the same time. Closing my eyes, I try to savor the moment as much as I can. The moment is cut short.

“Emily?” I snap my eyes open and only to meet green eyes. I inwardly suck in a breath.

“Nick,” I say, standing up. “What are you doing here?”