Chapter 12

The next day I arrived at school with my head held high, determined not to let the fact that nude pictures of me were circulating like a bad case of mono ruin my new sense of freedom. I walked to my locker as the giggles and whispers rolled off my back, ignoring the cat calls of a gross group of boys nearby. As I rummaged around for my textbooks I felt someone standing behind me. I turned slowly and came face to face with a smiling Trevor. He looked gorgeous, his hair perfectly styled and his grin charming as ever. 

I scowled at the sight and quickly refocused on what I was doing inside my locker. "Get lost Trevor", I grumbled.

I felt his hand gently caress my hair, moving it from in front of my shoulder and smoothing it down my back, I shuddered at his touch.

"Hailey this is stupid, we had a little fight, that's normal for couples you know. Please let's talk about this baby" he whispered into my ear, sending shivers down my spine. The mixture of loathing and longing disturbed me, I shook my head as I reminded myself how horrible this guy actually was. 

I slammed my locker shut and shoved past him forcefully, annoyed when his footsteps fell into sync with mine. 

"You are so stubborn, but you know, that is one of the things I love the most about you" he chuckled as he reached for my hand. I quickly pulled it away from him, moving a little bit faster towards the classroom. 

I heard him growl as he grabbed a hold of my arm and swung me around to face him.

"Listen, this whole thing between us, it's because your friends are trying to tear us apart. Don't let them do this to us, especially that fucking Mike kid" he said, spitting out the last part as if he tasted something sour. 

"You are delusional Trevor, you're absolutely friggin delusional. My friends have nothing to do with this" I retorted.

"It's okay Hailey, I won't let them do this to us. We belong together, and nobody will ever get between us" he said passionately. His resolve filled my gut with uneasiness.

"What are you saying Trevor?" I asked cautiously. 

"You didn't even bat an eye when the pictures got out, and it made me realize that I was punishing the wrong person. Yesterday I saw how controlling Mike is, and I finally saw what was going on. He's in love with you, and he is making sure that Silvia doesn't let you date me so he can have you all to himself" he proclaimed, his lights shining enthusiastically. 

"Jebus cripes dude, you have things seriously twisted" I gasped, shocked by his words. How the hell did he get to this point? Could he actually be crazy?

He ignored me and leaned forward to kiss me on the forehead. 

"Don't worry baby, let's go to class" he said, taking my hand and leading me towards the classroom. I went with the motions as my brain swirled, wondering if Trevor was in desperate need of a good therapist.   

I sat uncomfortably through first period, feeling Trevor's gaze on me the entire time. I felt truly relieved as the bell rang, bolting out of the classroom before the rest of my peers. I stopped in my tracks as I spotted three police officers near the end of the hall. The had a police dog on a leash, the dog sniffing purposefully at each of the lockers. This wasn't new to me, not the first time they had done a random check in our school. 

The halls began to fill as everyone left their classrooms, all eyes glued to the officers. 

"Hmmmm I wonder what their going to find" Trevor said maliciously as he wrapped his arm around my waist. I wiggled away and shot him a dirty look.

Suddenly the dog began to bark at one of the lockers, the officers nodded to each other before one of them but the lock and opened the door. He sifted through the contents before pulling out duffle bag. The cop placed it on the ground as the dog barked continuously, causing the other officer to struggle with his leash.