Chapter One

Chapter One

            I woke with a start. My heart was pumping out of my chest and sweat dripped down my body, drenching my clothes. I had that dream for a year and a half since the accident. Everything time I couldn’t find any hints or clues on who the person that held me back was. I dug through those horrifying memories every night just to see if I missed something that could tell me who caused my life to turn into hell. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t do it. Because of him, I no longer spoke and I no longer let people touch me. If someone did, I screamed bloody murder until someone was able to calm me down. I couldn’t help it. But I knew once I found him I would happily end his life for taking mine away from me. Kyle.

            Since I had no voice, I had no social life. No one wanted to talk to the girl who witnessed her best friend’s death. They freak who couldn’t talk and the girl who screamed if she was touched. The only person who stuck by me was Greg. He was Kyle’s best guy friend and knew (to an extent) what I was going through. So he sat by me, stuck up for me and talked to me, even though he knew he wasn’t going to get a reply.

            Now, since I had no social life really, I went to the shooting range whenever Greg wasn’t with me. I practiced throwing knives and taught myself self-defense with a dummy. So when I found the man who held me back and the man who killed my boyfriend I was ready.

            No one knew the whole story of what happened that night, not even Greg. When I woke up I couldn’t speak, and besides, what would people think when I told them a wolf was what attacked Kyle and someone held me back. The doctors knew it was some kind of animal that attacked up because of the claw and teeth marks on Kyle’s body. The only thing that confused them and me, as well, was why it went after Kyle, not me. Some kids thought I did it somehow. And most of them didn’t mind letting me know their thoughts either. Whenever that happened though, Greg was always there standing up for me. He never doubted me; he never even asked what happened. Greg knew that I wouldn’t be able to handle thinking over what happened. But he doesn’t know is that I think about it all the time. When you don’t talk and people usually don’t talk to you, you have a lot of time on your hands to think about things.

            My dad was away in Hawaii for a business trip and my mom was most likely sleeping in. They had a hard time adjusting to me, with the whole not speaking and no touching. They still have a hard time. They’ve tried to get me to take sign language but like I stated before, I had no will to talk, so why would I want to talk in a different form? But they didn’t know that; I never told them. Sometimes I wonder if they think I went deaf. They always talk about me and argue about how it’s the others fault for what happened to me. Then they’d start thinking about how they could get me to talk. They even wondered if I was the one who did it, but they quickly dismissed that thought. Their voices weren’t even low when they had their talks. Everyone around me thought I was a freak, a murderer. Everyone but Greg.

I got up and went to the bathroom. My hair was a rat’s nest, my eyes bloodshot and the dark bags under my eyes never seemed to go away. Sighing, I stripped down and jumped in the shower hoping to at least relax my muscles. Once I was done I got dressed and dried my hair. From there I grabbed my bag and left the house walking towards the school.

            As I arrived at school I took a spot under a tree near the side of the building. Hardly anyone was there yet, which I wasn’t complaining about. Leaning my head against the tree, I started to doze off. Sometime during my small nap I felt a presence next to me and I knew it would be Greg.

            I slowly started to wake up, stretching out my arms and took a deep breath. The smell of Play Boy and grass hit me causing me to freeze. That did not smell like Greg’s Axe. My eyes shot open to find a man about eighteen which dark brown hair and blue eyes staring at me. My heart started to slow back down once I realized he didn’t look like he was posing any type of threat.