Chapter 42

Rory stayed in Stars Hollow until Sunday afternoon. She got home right before Logan and Ricky. She wanted to tell him just how sorry she was for everything, but her plan wouldn't work if she did. She could tell how much he was struggling and, if it was even a fraction of how much she was, that made her feel even worse.

"Did you have a good weekend?" she asked him.

"Ya mom! It was great but we missed you!"

"I better get going," Logan said, not quite meeting her eyes.

She knew she had to say something to give him hope. To let him know that she was working on it. "Ricky, take your bag to your room please." As soon as he was out of earshot, she turned to Logan, "hey, I'm working on it. I just need a little more time."

He stared at her for a minute, trying to decide what to say. He kissed her cheek, "I miss you," then he left.

She fought the tears until the door was shut. She wanted to run out and tell him how stupid she was, but she had to stay strong.

Despite missing Logan, the week flew by. She had taken the week off, as well as the following week. It had been necessary to let the headmaster in on her plans, but he had been understanding.

It was Friday afternoon, and Rory was thinking about Logan again. It was almost time.

Logan was at the office. If it hadn't been for Rory's words on Sunday, he would be even more of a mess. As it was, he hadn't been able to focus at work but being at the house, their house, all alone was worse.

He was reading through an email for the third time, still not really reading it, when the lights went out. He was fumbling for his phone when he heard footsteps. "When are we getting the lights back on?"

There was no answer, but he felt hands on his shoulders and a blindfold being put on him. He was starting to struggle a little when he heard someone finally talk, "relax, mate. We won't hurt you...too badly. Love would kill us if you didn't show up in one piece."

"You idiot, we're not supposed to talk!" He heard Colin.

"Well he was getting ready to hit us," Robert said.

Logan smiled. His friends were here...it wasn't clear why, but if it had anything to do with Rory, he couldn't complain.

They helped him stand up, and the guys took each arm. He could tell that the lights were back on by the faint light peeking through the blindfold, but nothing else.

Obviously this was well planned because everything was quiet. He could tell they were leaving. They put him in a car and got in too, then they were driving.

"So, how is everyone?" he asked.

Silence. Hmm, he'd have to come up with something good if they were gonna crack.

"Guys, I hate to ruin the fun, but I am supposed to pick up my son in a couple hours."

"No worries, we've got it covered." Finn said with a chuckle.

"How's Rosemary?"

More silence.

"Do your wives know where you are?"

Still silence.

"Guys I have to pee."

Colin put a glass in his hand and said, "give it up man. It won't be long."

He took a drink, which turned out to be scotch, and settled back for the rest of the ride. He supposed he would find out soon enough.

A short time later, the vehicle stopped, and the guys helped him out. He was led up a couple steps, then up a larger flight of stairs. Finally he was sat down on what felt like a bed.

"Alright mate, leave the blindfold on. Someone will be in momentarily to remove it." Finn patted his shoulder and then everyone left, or he assumed they did.

A couple minutes after that, the door opened again. He felt someone sit down beside him and take his hand. It was a very familiar hand. Then he felt the other one pull off his blindfold. Before he could say anything, she kissed him. How had he ever gone years without the feel of her lips on his? The kiss ended, but she didn't let go of his hand.

"Does this mean I'm forgiven?" he asked her.

Rory's face saddened a little, "aside from not realizing that your completely irrational girlfriend might get mad, there is nothing to apologize for. I was so stupid."

"No you weren't-" he started to say, but she put up her hand to stop him.

She shook her head, "let me get it all out. I definitely was stupid. I promised you that things would be different this time. When I saw Odette, I think my mind somehow reverted back to when I found out about the bridesmaids. It was so ridiculous, but I don't know how else to explain it. I should have talked to you, but I realized that because of our Vegas agreement back then that I knew nothing about her. I didn't want to know anything about her. That way she could remain the fiancé that I hated. Because, Logan, I hated her. In my mind, it was her fault we couldn't really be together."

She took a deep breath and continued, "we always had trouble communicating. This time, you tried and I shut you out. I did not make good on my promises, and I'm sorry for that. I've come to realize that I was trying too hard to protect myself. I should have just asked you about her. I also should have trusted you, above all else, I should have trusted you."

"Rory, I don't expect everything to be perfect right away.  I mess up too."

"I know.  There are a few things that we need to do though from now on."

"Ok, shoot."

"First, always give each other a chance to explain and talk it out."

"I like that."

"Second, when we argue, we never leave.  If we have to take some time alone, another room is fine, but we stay in the same building until it is resolved."

"I agree."

"Third and last, I'm done with our current arrangement.  For the last part to work, we have to be in the same place.  So," she held eye contact with him and got down on one knee. "There is a much better arrangement that I can think of-"

"No."