Conversation 30

This chapter is different, so pay attention to the key because the povs switch with the font

KEY:
Current time with Allison and Carmen
Flashback in Carmen's POV
Flashback in unknown POV

"Allison."

"Mhm?"

"I need to tell you something."

Allison looked at Carmen's face, noticing the seriousness in her voice. "What is it?"

"Sit down with me."

A frown forming between her eyebrows, she sat down slowly in front of Carmen.

Carmen took a deep breath. "I couldn't remember any of this. At all. It only came back to me when I saw him."

"Who's him?"

"Listen."

The dog was so badly injured and it hurt Carmen to think that anyone could be so cruel as to hurt a dog.

The dog whimpered as Carmen neared it, a small pool of blood surrounding it. Carmen searched for the injury and found a nasty gash in its leg. She reached a hand out to the dog, slowly, and waited until it seemed comfortable enough for her to touch it. She unwrapped the scarf around her neck and used it to wrap the cut tightly to prevent the blood from flowing. The dog barked and almost bit her hand.

Carmen winced, trying to communicate with the dog even though she obviously couldn't. I'm not trying to hurt you, she thought, I'm trying to help you.

A tunnel of light swung around the bend in the road, the only source of light in the dark street. The engine could be heard, getting louder and louder as it came nearer.

Because of how dark it was, Carmen couldn't tell what was happening, but the dog started barking madly, scrambling to get up.

"What's wrong?" she whispered.

The dog was panicking. Why? Danger? Carmen looked around, thinking that maybe someone was standing in the dark. But then she noticed that the car was coming closer and closer. It was going in a straight line on a bend.

It was too late for Carmen to do anything. She sheltered the dog with her body, hearing its desperate barks and painful whimpers.

It all happened so fast.

The lights were coming closer and closer. The engine was becoming louder, a powerful roar ringing in her ears. Carmen closed her eyes tightly, hugging the dog away from the car. She knew this meant she was going to take the full impact, but if the dog survived, then it would be worth it.

She didn't even realise what was happening when she felt a powerful force push her body, a pain surging through her. Her ears were ringing. There was a wet liquid in her mouth. Blood. There was a bark. Screams? Carmen realised that those were her screams. Her head was pounding, a force weighing down on it.

Her mind went blank. Her vision was gone.

It took a moment for realisation to hit Carmen's pain-induced mind. I just got hit by a car, she thought, trying to open her eyes. The dog. Where's the dog?

A sound went off. The air was silent; still. Something banged open. Crunching grass. Carmen managed to open her eyes halfway. Blood was crowding her vision. She whimpered in pain, unable to scream. Something was pressing down on her chest. Her head.

Light flooded the little vision she had. A shadow emerged, blocking the light from her face. It crouched down. A person? Carmen thought. She couldn't focus or understand anything because of the blinding pain. A sharp pain went through her head and she let out a torn scream, her eyes shutting tight.