CLOSING AUTHOR'S NOTES

Cassandra Cain is one of the most badass characters in the DC Universe, who has undergone the best combat training on the planet. I wanted to portray her human side and her vulnerability by showing the long-term effects of the intense conditioning she endured as a child, which deprived her of social and communication skills. For example, how being a killer at such a young age can traumatize her, making her the ideal target for Scarecrow/Jonathan Crane's toxin (even Crane himself is susceptible to it) later on in her life, where she finds herself dwelling on the pain and fear from her past. Additionally, she may be a little hesitant and insecure at first before fully embracing the fact that Jason loves her for who she is, since she feels immensely guilty for the things she has done as an assassin.

She can easily overpower a group of thugs and goons, but the Joker is highly unpredictable (due to his insanity) and rarely gives in to pain (if he even feels it at all). Cassandra, bound by Batman's moral code, can fight the Joker, but cannot kill him. Another restriction placed on her is the no-guns rule (although Red Hood breaks it all the time xD), so she is at a disadvantage. She's preoccupied with fighting the Joker's gang, so even though she can dodge bullets, she may not necessarily see the Joker coming at her. After all, he isn't afraid to play dirty and always has a few tricks up his sleeve. ☹ (I view Cassandra under Bruce's care to still be skilled and aggressive, but more reserved and of course far less bloodthirsty than assassin Cass, which could potentially explain how the Joker and Scarecrow got the best of her in this one.)

The "after-patrol snack" part was inspired by this cute piece of fan art by superhoneybear on tumblr (in the media section). It has three parts and if you would like to see the rest (I only put the first part), here is the link: http://superhoneybear.tumblr.com/post/56214960649/based-on-emmas-froyo-headcannon-and-seconds

Why I titled the story "Chaotic Neutral": 

Easydamus.com defines the term as: "A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal."

I found it applicable to Jason's character, but I found that the search for balance was also a good element to add to his relationship with Cass, since I believe it's important for both of them to know that it's okay to let go and trust each other every once in a while.

Like I mentioned in the Opening Notes, the story takes place three years after Cass joins the Batfamily, so in my headcanon they should at least be somewhat close, especially if they go on patrol together, hence the frequent use of the "Jaybird" pet name.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!