Prologue

Wind swayed the trees, as a young she-cat padded through the forest. She hurried along, as if she had something to do. Her tail swished behind her anxiously. She tried to be quiet, avoiding leaf piles and stones. Suddenly, a dark shape leapt in front of her. The she-cat hissed and unsheathed her claws. The dark shape stepped into full view, and the she-cat saw that it was just her friend Dustpaw. " Squirrelpaw, what are you doing out here?!" Dustpaw meowed. Squirrelpaw (the she-cat) smiled, then said "I'm going on a secret hunting trip!". Dustpaw looked at her in confusion. Squirrelpaw sighed, then said " Ravenclaw was annoyed with me today, because I missed three mice, so I thought I'd make up for it. And, anyway, What are YOU doing out here?" "I saw someone sneak out of camp, which was you, so I followed you". Squirrelpaw nodded, then started walking. "Hey where are you going?". Squirrelpaw paused "Can't you smell that lovely scent?". Dustpaw sniffed the air, then smiled and nodded. The two apprentices raced away towards the scent, their whiskers twitching with excitement.

Eventually, the apprentices came across a strange bush. Squirrelpaw looked inside, and saw what looked like the insides of prey, but cleaned, in a small round container. Squirrelpaw licked her lips, then crept towards the food. "SQUIRRELPAW STOP!" Dustpaw hissed. Squirrelpaw ignored her, and carried on walking. She also didn't see the metal step. Suddenly, "WHACK!" Squirrelpaw was wacked far into the cage, by the entrance to the weird bush being shut. She yowled with pain as a sharp part of the entrance cut her paw. Squirrelpaw examined her paw, and saw her pad was cut wide open, and blood oozed out of her paw. She yowled in a panic, "DUSTPAW, HELP ME!". Dustpaw dashed over, and tried to pull the door open with her teeth. "I'll get Miststar!" Dustpaw yowled, then sprinted away into the undergrowth.

Squirrelpaw hissed, as a twoleg came trudging through the long grass. It yowled, then poked its finger into the bush. Squirrelpaw growled and lashed out with unsheathed claws. The twoleg hissed, and put its finger in its mouth. It then grabbed the bush, and carried her away.