Chapter 4

Turning to look at Jake out of the corner of my eye, still keeping the leopard in my sight, I see a smile starting to creep up on his face.

          "What are you smiling for?" I ask. I don't think that he knows he is smiling because when I say something he stops.

          "Oh... it's just... you made a good choice... I guess," he says nervously, running a hand through his hair.

          "O-kay," I say doubtfully, raising an eyebrow at him.

          Clearing his throat Jake says,  "Anyway, now that you have picked your animal, come with me."

          "Wait," I say, turning my back to the leopard, now trusting he is not going to jump me, "why did I have to pick an animal?"

          "Because," is all he gives me. Then he unlocks the cage and turns to walk away.

          "If you don't tell me why then I'm not moving," I state stubbornly. "If I'm going to be like... I don't know half human half leopard I would need to know." I chuckle at the ludicrous thought

          Jake turns back towards me quickly. "How did you know what was going to happen? Did—"

          Cutting him off I holler, "What! That's really what you're doing! You have to be kidding me! I was just saying something randomly. Haven’t you ever heard of sarcasm?"

         Jake just looks at me with a guilty look on his face, and doesn’t say anything.

         "Oh. My. Gosh! That is what you're doing!"

        Right now there are about a million things racing around in my head. What’s going on? Is this really happening? I must be dreaming. That’s it, I’m just dreaming. But it feels so real. There’s no way. I’m just sleeping. I’ll wake up and all of this will be over. But even as I try to convince myself I know this is all too real to be a dream.Then I slap myself in the face just to make sure I really am awake. As soon as I do I regret it, rubbing the sore spot.

          Nope, not a dream. This pain is definitely real. When the realization of that hits me all of a sudden there’s a mental BLAM! It's like a train crash. The engine goes then the rest comes smashing up from behind. I feel like  can almost feint, but I force myself to keep upright.

          Jake is just staring at me now, and I kind of feel bad because I just yelled at him. I notice that I am breathing really hard, too. Probably from the meltdown that I just had. I start taking some deep breaths, which is kind of hard when you're breathing fast. I guess that’s the whole point, though: to focus on one thing to help calm you down.

          Finally getting myself to calm down I walk out of the cage and over to Jake to apologize for yelling. I realize I’m not standing alone and look down to see the leopard right beside me. Gasping a little I reach down and put my hand lightly on its head. Instantly it feels like the most natural thing in the world, and I continue to rest my hand there occasionally stroking his fur.

          Taking one last deep breath I say, "Hey, I'm really sorry for yelling, but it would've been nice to know what was going on sooner.”

          "Well I was going to tell you," Jake says nervously, "but I thought that it would affect your decision.

          "I would have said yes anyway," I retort, "because being half animal half human would be pretty cool."

          "Yeah," he replies honestly, "it is."

          “Wait, so you’re an animal too?” He nods his head. “So what is it?” Then pausing, I think back to the motel: Will and Derek. “Hang on a second. Is that what Will is too.” I leave out Derek just so there is no further questioning as to how I know.