Chapter 3

After about six more hours of driving, give or take, Will blindfolds me and ties my hands behind my back telling me that it is for safety purposes only. He just couldn’t let me see how to get to their place, like I will remember. It’s about time because I am getting tired of sitting in the same spot for hours on end, even though we did stop for a while. We were somewhere really hot, not just a normal summer day hot, but like desert hot. Guess we’re still in the desert then. Does that mean we’re still in Utah? No, we drove to far southwest for that.

          Where else would they take me, though? I honestly don’t think anyone can think of their own original hideout. I mean, who doesn’t have their secret facility in the desert?

          As we drive on I notice that it cools off immensely. Must be inside now. The weird thing is, though, it sounds just like a zoo. Animal noises bombard my ears from all sides. Great, I got kidnaped by the illegal poachers. I can hear elephants, monkeys, bears, and I think there’s even a dolphin in there.

          “Elaina, we’re going to get out now. Just let me lead you and everything will turn out OK,” Will’s voice reassures me. Yeah right! I think, but I don’t fight I just do as he says. He grabs my bound arms and leads me out of the vehicle.

          Curious about the animal noises I get ready to ask Will what they are, but I get shoved forward. Stumbling, my forehead connects with something very solid in front of me, most likely a cinderblock wall. Crumpling to the floor I curl up as best as I can with my hands being tied and all.

          As I squirm on the floor like a worm I try to sit up as best I can. I only manage to make my position even more awkward.

          I hear someone approaching from behind as two hands scoop under my arms and hoist me up. As the person unties the binds on my hands I feel hot breath on my neck.

          “Sorry about that, Elaina.” It’s Will. “I had to make it seem realistic. They’re not supposed to think that we like you. Plus none of these people know who you are or why you’re here. If you could, please play along, just don’t get too crazy.”

          Smirking, I reply, “Crazy is my middle name.”

          Chuckling, Will says, “I knew you’d be fine. Now,” taking off by blindfold Will turns me around to face him. I see that he has not changed from his tattered up suit and has probably be getting some weird looks, “don’t let these people get to you. As of now, you’re the only female in the facility. If you ever get into some trouble you’ll know where to find me.”

          “But how?”

         “Trust me, you’ll know.” With that Will puts a blank look on his face, stretches to full height, and turns on his heel to leave the room. With one last look Will closes the door behind him, giving me the ghost of a smile.

          Looking around the room I try to see if there is any possible way out. That will be a big fat no. In this tiny room, about the size of a supply closet, is the heavy-set iron door I was tossed through with no handle on this side—for obvious reasons. The walls are completely void of anything; no cracks, designs, or anything to hold onto, just slick, shiny, very solid walls.

           It is sometime before anyone comes to get me. A behemoth of a man that looks to be in his thirties walks in wearing the same crisp, black suit that I’m surprised can even fit him. This time, though, without the glasses. The fabric is stretched so tightly over his bulging muscles that it seems if he even moves the whole thing will rip the shreds. He can almost pass for a smaller version of the Hulk, just take away the green skin and replace it with a deep tan.