Chapter 14

"Have I heard of him?!" I ask, stumbling over my words as my jaw drops to the floor.

     "Uh... What's wrong?" Mason takes a step back, startled at my reaction. "I'm  guessing you know him?"

      "Know him?" I echo. "He's the one who got me into all this. That's who I work for."

     "Wait... What? That... makes no sense, and how do I not know you? I mean, I would definitely know if Jake hired a girl considering we're an all guys establishment."

     "I guess we just never met, and I'm guessing you weren't there when I killed Jake's top agent."

     "Damn... That was you? " he huffs, impressed. "I'd heard of the fight, but I wasn't there to witness it myself. Shame too, must have been one hell of a fight if you were able to take him down."

     "Yeah..." I trail, not really wanting to remember that scene.

     "Well, the reason I wasn't there was because I was sent on a mission. I knew we were getting a new agent, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me at the time. I've seen plenty of new agents come in. No offence to you."

     "None taken."

      My thought process is about as clear as mud water as I try to wrap my brain around this whole situation. Why would Jake send me after one of his own agents?

     "Did you know that I was going to be here? And I want the truth," I demand.

     "No, I didn't. Why?" he says, as he puts on his shirt then hands me my phone.

     Being able to get into peoples' minds is a huge advantage on my part. When I search Mason's I confirm that he is telling the truth.

      "Why would Jake send me after you?" I mostly ask myself. "Have you done anything to him?" 

     "Not that I know of," he replies, scratching his head.

     "Are you sure?" I question again, shivering from the cold wetness of my clothes.

     "Positive," he answers. "And here," he adds, starting to remove his shirt again, "take this, yours is soaked."

     "Thanks," I say, not hesitating to take his warm shirt. "Don't look."

      Turning my back to him, I peel off my soaking wet shirt and slip on his. Luckily, it's a dark color and the wet spots my bra is making can't be seen.

      When I turn back around, much to my surprise, Mason actually has his back to me. I figured, with the way he acts, that he would have watched.

     "You can look now," I say with a laugh. "And thanks for the shirt, but..." I pause, "My pants are soaked, too," I add with a wry smile.

     His face goes from a fleshy tone to tomato red in a matter of seconds.

     Laughing even harder I say, "Don't worry, I don't need your pants."

     Mason lets out a nervous laugh and a deep breath that he was holding.

     "Oh, thank God!" he says, putting his hand on his forehead. "I really thought you were going to ask..."

     "What if I wasn't kidding. Would you have done it?" I ask teasingly.

      He just looks to the ground and draws a little circle in the grass with his foot.

     "Wow, you really would have wouldn't you?" I say, serious now.

     "I mean... if you were cold, yeah, I guess I would have..."