Chapter 2: Awake

Caracas, Venezuela
Logan's POV
I awoke to a light over my head and a room almost completely painted white. I heard the beep of the heartbeat monitor and saw my body was covered in bandages. I hadn't died as I thought. I sighed, relieved that my mission wasn't over. I was going to make the Ghosts pay for every Federation life they took. I struggled to get up before I felt a jolt of pain radiate from my torso. I grunted in pain and laid back down. I heard the door open and watched a nurse go in alongside a doctor. She was different. By different I mean she was clearly not from the Federation states. She had unique features. Auburn hair, brilliant blue eyes and fair complexion. She was altogether one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen.
I diverted my mind from these thoughts as she checked my wounds. She nodded and looked at me.
"Well you seem to be healing pretty well. Much faster than anyone could've expected."
I nodded and asked her, "How long have I been here?"
"3 days." She answered me and while jotting notes in her clipboard while the nurse cleaned up the room.
"You'll be cleared and discharged in the morning." I nodded and laid down. I looked at her and asked a question I'm pretty sure I regretted later on.
"You're obviously not from the Federation. What are you doing in a Federation hospital?" She looked amused at the question and answered.
"I could ask you the same thing. What is an American soldier doing in a Federation hospital." I smiled and decided to answer.
"I work with the Federation. I got injured in combat as you can see." I said gesturing to my bandages. "And you?"
She seemed satisfied with my answer and gave her answer. "My family worked here when the Federation took over. I was still studying and I pursued Health when I graduated. They gave special treatment since I'm a doctor."
I nodded and laid back down. The next day I was cleared and I slipped the clothes Rorke left for me. It was my basic off-mission wear. A jacket, dress shirt, jeans and shoes. I put them on and approached the doctor. I went to her and she noticed me. She lowered her clipboard and looked at me expectantly. "Yes?" She said. "You're hospital bill's on the house from the Federation. You have any other questions?"
I breathed in hating myself more on more. "Yeah...you free for dinner?"
She looked thoroughly surprised at my question and then she suddenly smiled answering, "What time do you consider dinner?"
My heart was racing like crazy. Why the hell was I so goddamned nervous? I answered, "Would 6 or 7 work with you?"
She nodded, "7 works fine. Where do we meet?" I was pretty sure my head was gonna explode from all the blood rushing to it. "Would it be okay if I picked you up?"
She smiled and wrote something down on a notepad. She handed it to me saying, "Here's my address. Guess I'll see you later." Giving me a final smile before going out. I was grinning like an idiot for about five minutes before a nurse asked me to vacate the room. I strapped on my holster and holstered my sidearm. A P226 standard issue Federation infantry sidearm. I walked out of the hospital and breathed in the fresh air. Caracas was a hell of a city. It looked like New York but, a little less insane. A Federation officer came out of a car and handed me a communicator. I thanked him in Spanish and put on the communicator.
"Logan here."
I heard Rorke's voice immediately. "Glad to hear from you again kid. I thought we lost you."
I smiled, "You know I'm hard to kill." I heard him chuckle and he answered.
"Anyways the next op is in a week. Enjoy yourself there." I laughed. "You know I will."
I bade him goodbye and pocketed the communicator. I hailed a taxi and went to my house. As a Federation agent I was given a complimentary house and access to weapons. I utilized it and got a car while I was at it. In a few weeks the neighbors became familiar with me. I cleaned up the house and looked what pictures I had there. All of them were my family and my team. It was my sorrow and duty to kill them. I stopped dwelling on it and cleaned myself up.
I checked the time and got ready. I slipped on a suit and got into the car. I drove it to the location and found her there. She was in a beautiful black dress and her hair makes was down. She sat down next to me and smiled nervously. I returned the smile with about the same amount of nervousness. "So where are we going?"
I answered, "A little place I know. I think you'll like it."
As it turns out she did. I laughed while we ate and said. "I've never asked you your name so I'll say mine. I'm Logan, Logan Walker." She smiled and answered, "I'm Anna, Anna Lane." I smiled and we talked more. By the time the evening was done she knew more about than most girls I had taken on dates before. I told her about my family and what I was. She seemed to accept that. She told me about her self and her life before. She didn't seem to have struggled as much as most US citizens in Federation states. She's about my age and apparently I'm the first guy to ask her out in years as most were dissuaded by the fact that she was American. By the time dinner ended we were both exhausted and I decided to drive her home. I walked her to her door and opened it. She stopped next to it and looked at me smiling.
"Thank you I needed that." I nodded and replied, "Yeah I needed that too thanks."
She smiled and walked close to me. I could smell her perfume and see her beautiful blue eyes up close. She put her hands on my shoulder and looked at me. I held her by the hips as she smiled kissed me. It was electrifying to say the least. I kissed back and we stayed there for a moment before we released and she moved into her house.
"I hope we can do this again some time." She said. "Yeah definitely." I replied. "Good night."
She said the same and closed her door. I felt my entire break into a giant grin. I chuckled lightly while I got into my car. I heard my communicator chime and answered, "Yeah?" I heard Rorke's voice reply on the other end. "My guys are telling me they're seeing you with that American doctor from the hospital. I clenched my fist and cursed his agents.
"Yes." I confirmed. "What about it?"
"If she interferes with your training or any of our operations, I will not hesitate to have her killed. Get me?"
I clenched my fists even tighter and nodded, "Understood."
"Good." Rorke replied. "Our next op is in a few days time. See you then." He clicked off. I took off the communicator and slammed my fist against the car door. I breathed in and drove it back home. What have I done? I have to be careful with this.
Meanwhile in San Francisco...
David's POV
We stood in the briefing room as we looked at the layout for a base in Panama. Merrick stood in front of it and pointed at certain parts of it.
"If were going to make our forward advance into Federation territory through the land. We have to take Panama. This is the capital's anti-invasion defense system. It's comprised of heavy artillery and most of Panama's Air Force. The artillery are first priority. Once we take them down we mark the airfield for a bombing then the Marines roll in. Understood?"
We all nodded. He nodded and clapped his hands together. "Let's do it. Wheels up in 30 minutes."