NEIL M. [8]

"Matt! Breakfast is ready!"

I held back a yawn, drying my wet hands onto the burgundy cloth and tossing it on the counter. The plates were on the kitchen island, omelette with slices of fried potatoes. I haven't cooked since I took a job—which I failed miserably; it's been a huge pain in my ass trying to come in contact with my client or even find him.

Instead I focused on the cameras set around the premises as well as the road leading to my cottage. Matt has been himself again, trying to convince me to take his collar off after I had reprogrammed it like he wanted. The only reason why I'm not taking it off is that if anything happens I'd be able to find Matt.

It does look good on him.

I slept pretty late last night having to gather materials after I had disposed of the car we came with. It was aggravating how I knew exactly where he was going to be, I had my god forsaken sniper rifle aimed at his head. Right when I was about to shoot someone barged into the damn rooftop with guns. I wasn't supposed to be found considering how I was two thousand meters away. Two thousand and somehow they found me.

Did my client rat me out? If so, I'm going to be seriously pissed and will relish in filling his face with holes. If not, someone found out, someone knew and set out a trap for me. I didn't have time to completely think about how it happened since my head was too concerned over Matt's well-being over everything else.

Granted, Matt is a distraction.

Maybe he was followed; that's the only possibility as to why I was so easily found out. My client was followed or tracked which resulted in me being tailed to the building and they waited until I was focused on my target to notice my surroundings. The guy is dangerous as hell, no doubt my client went into hiding to avoid the tirade.

I mean sure, why not save your own ass, not give me the heads up, and assume I'm dead?

I was snapped out of my stupor at the sound of heavy footsteps hitting the wooden floors and down the stairs. I glanced to my left where Matt appeared from the foyer; his black hair was a complete mess as if he didn't bother fixing it after waking up. His blue eyes a little tired and at the same time there was a smile on his lips that made him look like a content cat.

He padded to the stools and sat down in front of the plate; damn he was cute. He only took one bite and he's already moaning in delight, "I haven't had this in a long time. This is so good." I shook my head at him walking around the kitchen island and sat next to him digging into my plate. "I got a call from Frank earlier, I'm going to go see him and I'll be out for several hours."

Matt looks up swallowing the food in his mouth, his eyes expressing his relief, "He's alive. I thought he died." I tilted my head slightly wondering how someone can be so kind in this world. He barely knows Frank and he's glad he isn't dead, "I thought so too but he's a smart guy, he can get himself out of anything. He's sort of injured right now but he says there's something important he wants to tell me and to come alone." I stuffed my mouth with the omelette as Matt nodded with a bit of concern on his face.

It's cute to see how he tries to not look so worried and when he does that he gets frustrated biting his inner cheek. "It was the Mafia, I find it hard to believe he was able to get away. Do you think it might be a trap?" His eyes were casted on his plate, fork splitting the egg and shoved the slices of potatoes around. I'd considered it many times but Frank and I have a safe word to use if it ever came to such a situation.

It isn't a trap; Frank seems to know something I can use and I have to know what it is that has the Mafia so determined to catch us. Hell, Frank couldn't escape unscathed and the fact he was left alive to come after us made it pretty clear there's something going on. Especially when they sent an assassin after us, fortunately the assassin was too focused on Matt and didn't pay attention to me.