MATT S. [13]

I wasn't sure how long I've been driving other than the fact I counted how many times Neil has fallen asleep beside me; at least four times while I drove for hours. It doesn't bother me I'm driving it's more as in I'm worried about how long Neil can go on like this with a wounded thigh. I haven't even checked if he's still bleeding.

What happened back at the house still shocks me. How did I use those weapons? Oh god and the bodies...I stop my train of thought before I had the urge to throw up again. I don't want to shoot ever again. It scares the fuck out of me. I don't even want to think about it. Everything I did felt so damn natural.

A sigh leaves my lips unable to stop thinking about it anyways even if I hated it; the rush in my veins had my heart pumping—I liked it. I can sort of understand why Neil likes doing what he does but I can't stop thinking of the people I shot. They're humans not animals.

They have families, they have a life and I ended up being one of those people who has no right to tear away the life of someone who means something to someone else. But if I didn't shoot them, Neil would have died.

I don't care who I'd have to shoot to keep Neil alive. He is not going to die, I won't let him die when he's the one protecting me and risking his life for me. The least I should do is cover his back when he needs it.

None of this is going to end unless we stop hiding and do something. I don't want to see Neil hurt like this anymore, this is the second time he's been hurt. Shot. I can't take it, what if the next time he gets shot it gets too close to home? What if he dies the next bullet he takes?

The mere thought of it makes me want to cry but I'm tired of crying just because I'm a sensitive guy. Eventually I'd have to do something, eventually I was going to realize this isn't about doing what's right anymore. It's to do what you have to do to survive.

I glance at the older male, he looks so peaceful and relaxed without having to be awake and alert all the time. A pang of guilt hits my stomach at the next thought rushing through my head. It's not the best idea but it's what I have.

My fingers grip tightly onto the stirring wheel, looking back at the road and grit my jaw. We should be reaching the place Frank told me about. It should be safe and out of reach from the Mafia. I still don't know who they really are other being dangerous people and frankly I'm not going to ask.

The less I know the better.

Once I saw the little sign Frank told me about I made an opposite turn and searched extensively until I found a blurry road that I would have missed it if I wasn't paying attention. I run a hand through my hair after making the turn sparing a glance at Neil again. My chest squeezes admiring his handsome face then bit my lower lip.

I breathe out again knowing this was going to take a while before I reached the place; I'll have to wake him up once we arrive despite how much I don't want to disturb his peaceful rest. There's too much going in my head.

I'm still not sure how my mother fits in all this or connected to the Mafia who seems to be more focused in looking for me than Neil. I don't know what makes them want me so bad. Before I knew it I started thinking about it again.

I don't want to go home even if my little sister is waiting for me, even if my friends are worried sick, even if my parents are grieving. I'm tired of considering other people, I'm tired of having to put them above myself. For once I want something and I want to take it, I want to be selfish for once.

But I guess that isn't in my nature to be selfish either; I'm considering Neil's well being above my own. I'm considering a lot of things and one of them is that maybe Neil is right. These feelings shouldn't be here, especially in this situation but it's there. These feelings are here, rousing inside, becoming more and more intense. Painful. And greater.