He's hurt and I'm happy.

After I filled out the application,  Sodapop brought me a uniform that consists of a black mini skirt and blue button up with a patch that said 'DX' on it. "Thank you, Soda." I said, trying to be friendly, considering he was now one of my co-workers. "Your welcome. You start tomorrow." He mumbled, before walking off. Seriously?  I was being nice that time!... Maybe he's like this to everyone he first meets. I thought, carrying the uniform with me as I got in my car and drove off. Nothing made sense so far as far as normal goes at the DX.  I wondered vaguely if thing were like this all the time. I wondered if Steve obsessed over his girlfriend as he worked and Soda remained grumpy and cold, only flashing a smile for the flirtatious girls who came to the DX for automobile care just to see him. Yes, I already know about all this because I've heard the girls buzzing about him and their fantasies. Little did I know, I was oh so wrong.

**** The next day at 12:00 ****

I put on my uniform and drove to work, a little bruised up from getting in a fist fight with my older brother, Matt. He was home last night. Home and ready to fight. Things honestly sucked at home if you want to know the truth. There was always a fight going on and arguments galore. However, I knew some other greasers had it worse off and I was lucky.

After driving about fifteen minutes, I finally arrived at work and parked my car then went inside, punching in. Right on time. "Hey, Soda, I'm here you can go on your break now." I announced,  looking around for him. "Ok cool thanks, Joe." He called back from a small office behind the cash register before dashing out the door. That was strange. I would've guessed he would've just left without saying a word. I sighed. Man things are different already. I sat behind the cash register on a red stool when I heard the door jingle and Steve punch in. "Hey, Steve." I called out to him, smiling.  However, my smile soon faded when I noticed he was crying. "What's wrong?" I asked, hopping off the stool and walking over to him, gently rubbing his back. "E-Evie..... Look, I have to see Sodapop. Where is he?" He sobbed, wiping at his tears. "He just left on his break but I'll gladly listen if you wanna talk." I soothed, leading him over to a couch in the corner of the small station, put there for the customers as they wait for their car to be worked on; taking a seat. "Sh-She and I broke up... She said she hated me and just used me. She's with a soc now!" He cried, burying his face in his hands. I wrapped my arm around him, pulling him close and then before I knew it we were hugging with me cooing comfort words in his ear. "Shhhh, it'll be ok. You can do way better than her." I whispered softly in his ear, as he cried on my shoulder, slightly nodding. "B-But, how could she do this to me? I loved her! I thought I'd marry her someday!" He practically screamed in my ear. I didn't mind.  Like I said before my home life isn't that great.

I felt bad that his girlfriend left him, leaving him to hurt but in a way I was happy. I didn't know why. He was crying on my shoulder and I was happy as could be. Strange, right? Things surely weren't going as I had planned.