F o u r

I see things.

Like what?

The classroom started to fill up with water today. I was drowning.

And nobody saw you struggle.

Exactly. It was all in my head. But it felt real. So so real.

I can't bear to think what it must have been like.

I really am drowning, though. Only today, when I was torn between living and letting go, my best friend continued to take notes beside me. Oblivious to the war waging in my head.

Your friend has better things to do. But I'll stick by your side till the very last step.

I see no light at the end of this tunnel.

What if I quit?

We have all your information. They will come after you.

What if I quit being?

Being such a waste of space.

A burden.

Not so soon.

Then when?

3 days more.

Never thought I'd look forward to a deadline.

Today you have to find the highest point in your vicinity. A building, crane, whatever.

I'll post the proof by tonight.

You don't have to. Tomorrow I will call you at the usual time.

I want to see you sitting by that edge when we Skype.

'She refuses to leave her room,' his mother says, 'You would know if you left yours and considered spending time with us.'

'Homework,' he lies with a helpless shrug. 'Exams are right around the corner.'

He knocks on Anna's bedroom door and asks her to join them in the living room. He even offers to put on her favorite movie.

An hour later, Anna appears from her room. He notices how her smile has turned upside down as she gingerly rubs at her red-rimmed eyes. 'I'm only here for the movie,' she mumbles.

'Get over yourself,' he teases, 'I'm here for the movie too.'

Time passes and he loses interest. He had always been able to see past the flimsy facades of horror movies. How the creator had worked so hard to build an atmosphere of blood and gore when all he should've was hold up a mirror to his audience.

For the realities of life were harsh enough to render anyone of us sleepless.

'It's been two days,' he mutters, 'and you're still crying over a book about fish.'

Anna sniffles back tears. She pulls her sweater sleeve into her palm and wipes her sad eyes.

'Stop crying, Anna,' he says. The weakness of his own blood disgusts him. 'I'll get you another one.'