5

After a precisely twelve minute car ride filled with rap songs, we arrived at the designated diner. It reminded me of Pop's from Riverdale. Surprisingly, being the gentleman that Jax is, he opened the door for me and let me in first. I immediately took a quick scan of the diner and God, I regret doing so. Just right on the far end was the guy who I used to hang out with twenty four seven, who gave me information about the challenger when we're on the streets. His brown eyes looked at me in shock. I heard Jax's footsteps behind me, "Ah there he is!" He exclaimed and I turned my head to see who he was looking at and the worse scenario happened.

I froze.

"Come on. Let me introduce you to Matthew."

Hell no.

"Sky?" Jax asked with his face popping in front of mine, snapping me from my frozen state.

"Oh, yeah. Let's go." I said.

I could feel my heart beating rapidly against its cage. Matthew's soft brown eyes caught my brown ones. His face was filled with utter confusion and I don't blame him, I feel the same way too. For a split second, I thought about turning around and ditching but that would not look good on me and walking over to our table felt like ages. I lightly shook my head lightly at Matthew as I walked closer and closer to the designated table, tailing Jax and hoping that Matthew would get the message.

When we reached the white glossy oval table, Jax stepped aside to give way for me to enter.

"Ladies first." He said.

"Thanks." I murmured as I slid down the comfortable red sofa before him.

"Well Matthew, this is Sky Connway and Sky, this is Matthew Macallister, my best bud."

Best bud?

I held my breath as I waited for Matthew's reply. None of us seemed to want to be the first one to response, leaving Jax's introduction mid air before he himself broke the ice.

"Do you guys know each other already?" Jax questioned.

"Oh no, no." Matthew replied, his British accent was still as strong, and I let out a breath of relief, "Nice to meet you. I'm not in my right head space today, sorry."

I gave him a small assuring smile, "Nice to meet you too."

The red headed waitress gave us the menus and eye raped Jax while doing so, making me feel disgusted but I decided not to bring that up, knowing that it'll just feed Jax's huge ego. Matthew and Jax started conversing as I read through the menu, trying to decide on what to eat because everything looks good.

I owe Matthew one.

The ginger waitress came back to take our orders in which Matthew ordered fish and chips with coke, Jax ordered a cheese burger and wedges with strawberry milkshake and I ordered a cheese burger and fries with café latte as I did not get the chance to drink my morning coffee earlier thanks to me waking up late.

"Is that all?"

"Yeah." Matthew replied curtly, showing no interest in the ginger standing near him.

The waitress headed back to the kitchen while Jax and Matthew went back into their conversation while I let my mind wander here and there.

How does Jax know Matthew?

Right. Drag racing.

"So Sky, I heard that you got Jax as your media partner. How does it feel to be stuck with a guy like him?" Matthew asked, breaking my train of thoughts. I must say, we were acting pretty well.

"Speaking like a true reporter," I joked, "Honestly, no comment."

Matthew chuckled, "You hear that Jax? She said no comment."

"That's a first." Jax mumbled.

The waitress came back with our food and we all dug in. Not that I'll tell Jax, but the meal was so delicious. The three of us chatted, the mood was very enjoyable and I thank Matthew for that.

"With fish and chips, do you eat the chips first or the fish first?" Matthew asked.

"Here we go again." Jax complained.

It was no surprise that Matthew somehow always eat the chips first and the fish the last, sticking with 'save the best for the last' motto.

"Fish. Duh." I replied.

"See Matthew, you're not normal." Jax quipped.

"I'm sure that someone in this world also eats the chips first."

"Keep on dreaming, Matt." I said with laughter.

Jax gave me a glance of confusion before laughing with me before he excused himself to the bathroom, leaving Matthew and I alone, which I usually don't mind but after what happened, I haven't seen him until today.

"He would've want you to continue instead of quitting, Sky." Matthew said softly, his brown orbs were filled with sincerity.

My heart immediately felt so heavy. "I know, Matt, I know. But every time I put my hands on the steering wheel, my mind goes back to that moment, of everything that happened. I can't bring myself to drive again, let alone putting myself back there again."

Matthew sighed, "You need to talk to someone, Sky. Asking for help isn't something to be ashamed of."

"I've been talking to Jesslyn, if that counts."

"Sky, you know what I mean."

Then it was my turn to sigh, "Amanda's isn't helpful. So, where do you know Jax from?"

"Mutual friends on the track." Jax said from behind me, startling me.

Figured.

I turned my head to face him as he slid back to the seat, "How long have you been standing there?"

Jax looked at me with confusion, "I just got here."

I let out another sigh of relief internally. Even though there's nothing wrong with Jax knowing that I've known Matthew for ages, the explanation that is needed to be told after Jax knows is something I'm not ready to tell. And I thank Matthew for keeping it from him.

"Aren't you guys supposed to go back to school now?" Matthew asked.

"Yes, but we aren't planning to." Jax replied with a smirk.

I looked at him with a sass, "We? More like you only." I pointed out before looking at Matthew, "He forced me to go with him."

Matthew laughed and I could feel my old self coming back.

Is it a good thing? I don't think so.