Chapter 1

Wren stood in front of the giant building - Starstorm Academy .
The school for the elite . She breathed heavily but a weight felt like it was on her chest . She was a lanky , spunky looking teen. Her  soft ginger  hair blew in the wind and her sea green eyes gazed up in the wonder at  the enormous institute . One thing already she thought was odd - the uniforms .
She had to wear a white blouse , blue and red plastic skirt with black leggings . She wore a jacket with the sign of a prodigy as a badge .
" Well , this is bigger than I expected . I mean WOAH!" The blond boy next to her exclaimed, a large grin on his face . . And yes , she knew him , in fact he'd known her since the first grade , their families were friends and Wren wasn't exactly extatic about arriving to school with him
. He was um , definitely goofy . His brown eyes matched his pale skin and bouncy blond hair . When he laughed you could see his braces . See, he'd tried to make a spell to hide them with a frogs eye but it really did fail miserably. But it was grand , the school - it looked more like a castle . There was a huge bridge that spanded above a rough river . There was a large archway and a pair of ancient wooden doors inscribed with runes and protective spells .... protection from what ? Wren had to ask herself . Above the archway there was a large balcony with a few prodigies practicing magic in the air . There was a large tower on the top with a bright beacon swirling at the tip . Off to the side another tower stood , it was silver .

" Sawyer , that tower over there ... why is it silver ?

"If I remember correctly , that's for the students with the most rare abilities . You know the real special ones . Ha! What if you get in to that tower ! " He put his arm around her shoulders . Wren stood stark still and completely uncomfortable . She shuddered at the thought . What if she did get accepted into that tower . You see, every student that comes to Starstorm has a unique talent - a gift . Therefore , the children who attended were called the gifted . Some children could fly , some could control water , some could summon lightening or cool stuff like that . Sawyer for instance , had the unique ability to talk to animals. She'd seen him have a philosophical conversation with a crow before . Wren had just stared in disbelief . She didn't even know what she could do .

A rare photo ( not entirely accurate ) of Starstorm

A rare photo ( not entirely accurate ) of Starstorm .

But she had been brought to Starstorm on a scholarship . She had always been a freak . Always been different as all of the teens here at the Academy . People had always been a cared of her and thought she was well - a freak . Sawyer opened the old wooden doors . Her first step in was one of the most frightened moments of her life . Lockers lined the hall and there was a Spiral staircase in the corner that led to the classrooms . Sawyer informed her the Study Hall was on the 3rd floor. Sawyer wasn't especially smart but she was . She was incredibly observant and was one of the smartest children in her old class.
Her old class. Back in the mortal world .
Technically , they were in the mortal world . But their whole community was shielded from the regular mortals vision . If you want to get technical, their school would be located in the deepest forest of New Zealand .
Regular mortals just saw acres and acres of trees . But the world of the gifted stretched for millions of miles . Each families home was miles apart . When a teen manifests a gift , they are retrieved by one of their own kind .