The Singing Maiden

I had just talked to Dorian. I couldn't get the bloody mage out of my head. With his tan skin, ebony hair, silky Tevinter accent and charming repartee. He was like an exotic wine, making me heady just standing in his presence and by the Maker, I had no idea what to do about it.

I'd left him standing outside the small cabin Josephine had given him after saving my life at Redcliff. He was dressed in his unusual brown leather mage armour with the one bare arm. I was sure he must be freezing, having lived his entire life in a much warmer climate. Yet if he was, he gave no indication of discomfort which made me wonder what else he was good at hiding.

I was wandering the small area outside Haven's Chantry, lost in thought, when I heard someone calling me.

"Herald? Herald!"

I turned to see Varric watching me, a strange expression on his face.

"Varric?"

"Either you just now realized you're the unwitting leader of this weird operation, or you've got something serious on your mind."

"Um." I didn't have a clue how to respond. I didn't know Varric well, other than what I'd read on his book about the Champion. He seemed genuine enough, but I didn't know who I could trust yet and I wasn't sure a glorified dwarven bard was a good first choice.

"I know that look." Varric smiled. "Follow me Herald. Whatever it is, I think you'll feel better telling me over a drink."

I smiled, expelling the breath I'd been holding in a loud sigh. "A drink sounds good Varric. Lead the way."

Varric led me to a table near the back of The Singing Maiden tavern and ordered two of their best ales. We sat in companionable silence for a while, listening to the bard while sipping our ale. I began to relax despite myself, when I realized Varric was letting the silence stretch and wasn't going to press me to talk.

"So let me guess. You woke up from a really bad dream where you couldn't remember the details and now you've had time to think, all you want is for someone to pinch you and say it's all just a really bad joke."

I smirked and took another gulp of ale. "Something like that."

"Which part?"

"All of it."

"Come on Herald. There's more to it than that. I realize you barely know me, but I'm here to help. I'm a good listener, or at least Hawke always said so."

"That's right, you met her back in Kirkwall. Were you friends?"

"Not at first. I recruited her as a business partner for an expedition my brother organized. It didn't go quite the way I planned."

"What happened?" I asked, curious to know more.

He frowned, gulping more ale before responding. "Maybe another time Herald. Long story short, we started out as business partners but became friends along the way. It's a complicated story. Filled with tragedy, betrayal, dragons, witches, shapeshifters, hardship.... But still, we managed to stay friends even after everything that happened."

"Sounds like you left a lot of things out of your book."

"You have no idea." He murmured. "But I'm here to help you, not bore you with tales of woe. So tell me, what had you wandering about with that dazed expression on your face?"

"Um." I hesitated. "Well you were partially right. I do feel like this is all just a bad dream. Three months ago I was the disgrace and disappointment of my father. Youngest son of a Bann, ordered to attend the Conclave to represent my family name. Now I'm the Herald of Andraste with people years more qualified than I looking to me for guidance. To say I'm overwhelmed..."