Chapter 11

I could hear someone tapping on my door non-stop and i woke up startled not know where i was for a minute, i didn't know when i fell asleep chatting with Ming the whole night, i got out of my bed hurriedly and opened the door.

Ming was standing there "Not, everyone sleeps in late on their 1st day at their in-laws" he came in laughing, crap "what time is it?" i didn't realize i was exhausted i thought to myself "I am so stupid" i said out loud. "Kitkat, I am just happy that you are relaxed at my place, anyways it is not very late – i came to wake you up just in case, breakfast will be ready in another hour, so don't panic" he added with a smirk. I just realized that what he said and the reason behind his smirk "shut up.. now let me wash up. I will come out, so you can get out now".

I cleaned up and stepped out of my room, Ming was not around, but his ma was standing near the table setting it up. I gathered my courage and walked up to her "Good Morning Aunty is there something i can help you with?" i asked. "Kit, Good Morning. You are up early; i thought you will sleep in a bit late like how Ming does after his exams. "She smiled so warmly that was so like my mother. "No, I woke up early" thanks to your son i thought to myself.

"You are in 2nd year studying medicine right" she asked "are your parents doctors too?" "No, my ma is housewife and Pa runs the family business. I am the 1st doctor in our family" i answered. She smiled, "I am forever grateful for what you did to Ming, i pestered him to bring you home so that I can thank you. Sorry, if you had to change your plans". I just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to say "Thanks for having me".

She just looked at me silently for a minute "i can see your influence on Ming" now i panicked, i didn't want to have this conversation now, not without him around at least "it 's nice that he is learning to respect other's feelings". I just stood there silently not knowing what to respond "go on, have a look at the Garden – you really seemed to like it, i will join you in 5 mins". I was so happy to get out of that conversation "Okay" and i stepped out , i didn't realize i was holding my breath until i did.

"Kit", she came calling me in sometime and was carrying a tray with tea and something to eat "Ming and his father sleep in on Saturday's, so breakfast will be late. I just got something for us to eat while talking". Ming – i could so kill him now, he had beautifully set me up. "Thanks Aunty" i joined here. It was easy to talk to her and we were talking about landscaping when Ming joined us. "You should have woken me up ma" he said giving me a wink standing behind her.

"I thought you will come down immediately since Kit was up, you woke him up didn't you?", she asked smiling. What – she knew, did she think we slept together!!! Crap!! Was all i could think "Guilty" he said "How did you know?" , "you still haven't learned to knock the door silently, it was the same way how you used to wake me up when you were a kid" she said "and i really thought you were at my door" she laughed. She is smart, i thought to myself – no wonder she had the guest room next on the same floor as hers. "Dad's up and am starving" he answered a bit flustered. He mouthed 'Sorry' to me.

Breakfast was a haunting experience; his dad didn't say anything but gave me a scrutinizing look and didn't talk much, but ma kept the conversation flowing. She said, "Ming – why don't you show Kit around." I was so happy for this to be over, for i had no what went into my mouth or i if did eat anything at all.

"Kit" his father called and i stopped immediately on my tracks, i turned around and said "yes Uncle", i could sense tension rolling out from Ming. "Enjoy your stay" he said extending his arm for a shake. I must have looked like an idiot looking at his extending arms for a minute before shaking them "Er.. Thanks Uncle" was all i could respond.