My Own Worst Enemy

"John," Eric said, "how could you let her get punched?" I got punched? By who? The Incredible Hulk?! 

"I didn't know that was gonna hapen!" John told Eric. 

I couldn't see them, but I could hear their conversation. 

"Then tell me who the hell just punched my step-sister?" Eric sounded pissed. 

"Her name's Natalia. I dated her in high school, but ended it after finding out she's psychotic." John explained. 

I felt my hands twitch and my eyes shot open. The guys were death glaring at each other until I coughed lightly. Then their glares were on me. 

"You're awake!" Eric exclaimed. He seemed a little too worried. He never seemed worried until yesterday. Wait. How long have I been out? As if he read my mind, Eric added, "You've been out for a few hours. We brought you home after you got hit." I slightly nodded, making sure they understood that I understand. 

I looked at John and he had a guilty look. "John," I spoke. My voice cracked and my throat felt dry. He lifted his eyebrows at me and I continued. "What happened?" 

"I'm so sorry, Bethany," he whispered, "I didn't know she was gonna punch you." 

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Who punched me?" I asked him. He looked at the ground and shuffled his feet. "John?" 

After what seemed like forever, he softly said, "Natalia Jenkins." With the mention of her name, my nostrils flared. 

Natalia Jenkins was one of the snobbiest people in school. She bullied just about anyone and she had to be center of attention. She tried to make my high school years a living hell, but she couldn't if she tried. 

I looked at John then at Eric and finally the wall and said, "Alright, she's gonna get it!" The boys held me back as I tried to run out my room with my fists clenched tight. "Let me go! I need to go teach that bitch a lesson!" I yelled while struggling out of their grip. It was no use though. 

"Calm down, Beth!" Eric yelled. Calling me Beth didn't calm me down the least bit. It only infuriated me more. I began to kick at them, only to have John grab my feet. "She's already taken cared of!" Eric shouted at me. 

I stopped all my movements and looked at him. "What you mean?" I asked with my eyebrows furrowed and my nostrils still flared. 

John released my feet and Eric let go of me. They looked at each other and John nodded at Eric. Eric let out a long sigh. Looking at me, he spoke quietly, "After she punched you, you were sprawled out on the ground and John held her back." He looked at John and a smirk curved on his mouth. "Natalia was trying to get away, and when she did she bumped into a cop who bumped into another cop and spilled coffee all over the band's equipment." I couldn't help it. I busted out laughing at that. My stomach began to develop abs because I was laughing so hard. 

"So, what happened to her?" I asked as I wiped a tear from my eye. 

Eric rubbed the back of his neck, "She got arrested." He started chuckling after that. Soon we were all in a laughing fit. 

A pain surged through my left eye. I covered it up and rubbed it slightly. Something was off though. It felt hot and it was pulsing. "Hand me a mirror!" I rose my voice. The guys searched all over my room, through many boxes until John held up a little pocket mirror. I grabbed it and gasped at what I saw. I had a black-eye! What the hell? "Why didn't you guys tell me?" 

They both rubbed the back of their necks, and they lightly laughed as if they were nervous. 

"We didn't want you freaking out," John spoke up.