Chapter 29 - A Shot In the Dark

Tori's POV ★ 

I WAKE UP WITH DRY TEARS ON MY CHEEKS. 

 I get up off my bed and walk to my closet. I put on a pink halter top and black ripped jeans. I slip on my pink Jordans and walk into the kitchen.

"Hey, mom," I say, startling her.

"Oh, Tori, when did you get home?" She asks.

"Last night," I say. "You were asleep."

"What time?"

"One thirty in the morning," I say.

"OH MY GOD, Tori! Why so late?" She asks.

"I missed this house." I lie.

"Oh, did you?" She asks.

"Yeah," I say. "Can I have some tea? I have to go, but I'll be back soon."

"Oh, okay." My mom says, taking out a cup and turning on the kettle. She puts a teabag in the cup and turns back around to face me.

When she finishes making my tea, I leave to go to the gym. I take my car, due to the morning rain.

I drive up to the parking lot and park in the last parking slot. Why is it so crowded at 8:00 in the morning?

I run into the building, my eyes staring at the moving pavement beneath my feet as I run. I enter the gym, immediately spotting Tanner's blonde hair in the crowd.

"What the heck is going on?" I yell over the music.

"Tori!" A few guys say happily. They run up to me, enveloping me in hugs.

"Guys! Guys! I. Can't. Breathe." I say.

"Oh, sorry about that Tori. We're just huge fans!" One of the guys says. They all release me and I fill my lungs with air again.

"So, what's this about?" I ask.

"This party? It's for Tanner and Emilie. They're moving!" They cheer and my heart sinks. They're moving.

Tanner walks up to me. "I was going to tell you..." he says. "Eventually."

"Tanner! It's okay. You and Emilie deserve this. Just promise you'll visit me sometimes." I say.

"I promise," Tanner says, hugging me.

I hug him back and breathe in his scent. He always smells like flour since his mom owns a bakery.

"Now let's enjoy this party!" I shout, making a few people cheer.

I grab a Jell-O shot and take it. Mmm, orange. I stay till midnight, listening to one of the playlists Tanner made on Spotify.

Welcome to my house
Play that music too loud
Show me what you do now
We don't have to go out

We all dance and sing along until we can barely keep our eyes open because we're so tired.

"Alright guys, I'm calling it a night," I say, grabbing my purse.

"Night Tori!" A few guys say.

I leave to head home and see a car parked in the driveway. I end up having to park on the sidewalk. Whoever this idiot is, he better not ruin my perfect night.