Prologue: Murder or Suicide?

There was a cooling breeze in the air as cracks of daylight began to shimmer through the morning clouds. Trees danced as this breeze collided with the branches but the sea remained tranquil, evidence of the peace that surrounded a small, cliff-side village.

The townspeople were settled and  sleeping. Mothers dreaming of waking to breakfast in bed, Fathers conjuring up random thoughts of the football game they recently watched, children sleeping soundly while the battery inside them charged so that they could awake and feel as energetic as the day they had before.

There was no noise besides the waves that moved up against the rocks of the beach, the sweet melodies of birds singing their morning songs and the noise of a swing being pushed by the wind and creating a toe-curling squeak.

However, further down the golden sand of the beach by the cliff, the air seemed to shift. It was peaceful, but there was something about it that could tell anyone that someone was wrong. Birds seemed to stop chirping, the wind picked up. It was eerily disturbing.

A few adolescents began walking along the beach after a long night out. Slightly drunken they were, but not so much as to be oblivious to their surroundings. As they inched closer to the edge, they all suddenly stopped still, the scene before them unimaginable.

A girl lets out an ear-piercing cry.

A boy calls the ambulance.

The medics called the forensics.

It was official; a young girl died that night.

******

Half of the village was stood upon the beach. No one spoke, the wind whispered between countless bodies huddled together for warmth but no one shivered. They all just stared.

Heartache was felt among the community that morning, yet no one showed any emotion but shock and disbelief. The waves soon came up over the slippers and boots of individuals as the tide began to crawl lazily up the sand, the crash of a distant wave was all to be heard when the group started to walk slowly up the beach, their eyes never leaving the dead body that lay before them.

A young woman began parting the crowd, making her way to the deceased only then did the villagers hear the woman scream as she stared at the girl before her. The child lay, on her back, with her mouth agape, glazed eyes staring at the cloudy sky. Her hair was sprawled across her face, knotted and tangled, her skin scratched and pale. Her ragged clothes were barely intact.

The young women was choked with tears at the sight of her.

Nothing could bring her back.

Nothing could say sorry.