「3/10」 thunder

[03] • thunder

semi groaned loudly as he wrestled through the covers in search of his phone. who the fuck calls at two o'clock in the morning, he was thinking as his finger slid over the flashing green arrow, not bothering to check caller ID.

"what?" he snapped, reaching up to rub his eyes. the room was pitch black, but every now and then it was illuminated by white flashes of light, like a floodlight. a loud rumble made the windows tremble.

"hi semi-san."

the boy flopped onto his back, an irk mark appearing by his brows. "what the fuck shirabu? why are you calling me so damn late?"

another rumble, like canon fire, as if the sky were a battlefield and all the noises and flashes were heaven's artillery ripping across it.

"i couldn't sleep," shirabu muttered, a slight tremor in his voice that almost went undetected. semi sat up again, shaking away the last dredges of sleep.

"what's up?" he asked, climbing out of bed and walking over to the window. he drew aside the curtains, peering through the rain-frosted glass. the sky was a deep violet colour, pregnant with thick, billowing clouds.

"nothing, nothing, i just- crap." there was a jolt in his voice as another canon was let loose. a few minutes later, semi saw the accompanying flash, far away, a streak of white fire pouring down the sky.

it wasn't difficult to connect the dots, even at two o'clock in the morning. "shirabu are you scared of thunder?"

the other boy fell silent for a moment; semi could hear his laboured breaths. "n-no, of course not, you baka," he scoffed. "it was just loud and keeping me awake."

semi pursed his lips. "yeah right." then his tone softened. "hey shirabu, if you're really scared of thunder you don't have to be embarrassed about it."

more silence, and then a short huff. "okay, okay, so maybe i'm a liiiiiiittle bit scared of thunder but-"

"hah! you loser. who the fuck's scared of thunder?!"

"semi you idiot. i'm not a loser. you're a loser."

the older boy snorted as another wave hit and shirabu gave a high-pitched wine. "okay, okay, i guess i don't mind."

"don't mind what?" shirabu grumbled, still shaken by the noise.

"you calling me like this. when you're scared. it makes me feel special," semi said, only half-jokingly.

he could already picture shirabu's stubborn frown, the blush on his cheeks, pulling the covers right up to hide it. "w-whatever, idiot. you were just the first contact on my phone, that's all."

"suuuure," semi said, unconvinced.

"i'm okay now thanks for talking to me bye."