Chapter 1.

Walking down the street, I shuffled through my iPod looking for a decent song that could accompany me through my boring journey back home. To my dismay, nothing caught my attention so reluctantly, I put it on shuffle. My feet were moving slowly and steadily against the rough sidewalk that was bombarded with autumn leaves.

                There was something I loved about autumn and winter, it’s cold yet beautiful. It’s peaceful and the fact that many hate it makes me love it more, I see something in winter no one else does. Turning at a corner, I make it to my lovely home.

                “Jordan? Is that you?” My mum yells as I enter the house.

                “No, I’m a criminal who recently escaped from jail.” I say bitterly.

                “It’s definitely you,” I hear her sigh in the kitchen. My family’s pretty used to my excessive use of sarcasm. They find it maddening, but I —personally—find it hilarious. Sometimes, it takes them a while to find out that I’m actually not spewing out literal information.

                “Sweetie, look, a family’s coming over for dinner. I need you to get dressed up.” She says coming out of the kitchen with a dirty apron around her waist.

                I stare at her for a while then snort, “So not happening.”

                “They have a son, you know? Don’t you want to impress a boy for once?” My mum says clearly disappointed in me.

                “How about no,” I reply hotly before heading upstairs quickly not wanting to hear a rat’s arse about the family coming over. They are probably going to be snobby, rich and big headed. On top of that, they will be unbelievably dumb and stick their noses in the air all day.

                Now, how do I know this? Well, my dad works with hotels and stuff so there’s a lot of money involved. Most of his friends are snobby, uptight and judgmental. I would slap them right across the dinner table if I could, but that would be impertinent of me, wouldn’t it?

                “I bought you a dress.  Wear it.” My mum ordered trying to sound strict. The sad thing is, we both knew I’m not getting my butt into a dress. A+ for effort though. Chuckling to myself, I enter my black and white themed room. I strip my clothes off and change into a comfy big sweater and leggings. I decide to skype call my best friend seeing I had no homework.

                “What up, bitch?” She yelled a second after she picked up.

                “Another stupid family coming over for dinner,” I groaned.

                “Wow, I kinda wish I was there to experience the awkward tension, do they have a child?”

                “Yeah, a son,” I replied smirking. My friend here—Neva—had an obsession with males.

                She squealed and I covered my ears quickly. Even though she’s not here in person, I feel like she is. That’s how loud it is.

                “Stop the screaming, Neva! You can stay for dinner, by the way.” My mum yells from downstairs and my mouth is agape in shock.

                “Now you’ve done it you nutter.” I complain before muttering strings of the most colourful swear words I know. This is about the tenth time Neva has yelled over our skype calls which resulted into an invitation for dinner. My mother never realizes that Neva never makes it to dinner. Short memory, must be.