Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

I avoided the bum for the rest of the day. I was still a bit shaken up from what he had said to me earlier and whatever games he's playing; I am so putting my A game on.

"Screw this." I muttered under my breath as I walked towards my locker at the end of the day. You can't blame me; I had to deal with all kinds of teachers: The strict type, the bitchy type and the type that can't open up a PowerPoint.

"School can suck my lollipop." Neva said interrupting my thoughts. Did I mention her locker is right next to mine? Cliché, I know. But things happen. Last year we weren't next to each other though.

"But you love lollipops, Neva." I remark in shock.

"Lollipop was a substitute for what I really wanted to say." She explains and my right eyebrow goes up in confusion. Neva points to the other end of the hallway where Mr. Stewart is yelling at some poor kid.

"Ah," I reply trailing off. That teacher is known for having ears like a hawk. You'd be a mile away from school and he'd still find out what you did or said wrong. Maybe he just has someone who spills the details to him.

"Sleep over tonight? Please?" I beg Neva as we walk out of school. I didn't want to deal with my mother and father in any way. I avoided it as often as possible.

Neva looked at me sadly, "Sorry, I can't tonight. My grandma's coming over and the rest of my cousins."

"Can I come?" I ask.

"I'd rather you don't."

"Hide me in your closet, I don't care." I begged her.

"Sorry, Jo." Neva shot me a sad look. I couldn't help but let out a sigh. Guess my evening's going to be full of insults and irrelevant comments.

The first thing I do when I arrive home is say, "What the fuck." My reason for making such a beautiful statement is because there are blue and white decorations everywhere, and music is blasting from the backyard.

But it's indie music that's playing, and vintage-ish. Please don't tell me my mum and dad are having one of those sophisticated parties where all their friends and colleagues do is ask me about how school is and what I want to major in.

"Mum?" I called out. My parents are crazy for having a party on Monday night.

"In the kitchen, darling." Did she just call me darling, ew. I hate pet names.

"What the hell do you guys think you're doing now?" I bluntly asked.

"Language," my mum replied simply.

I stayed silent awaiting her answer. "Your dad got promoted."

"And I'm supposed to care?"

"It's your father, Jordan."

"And I'm your daughter. Funny how we all forget our roles in this family."

"Jordan," my mum said in a warning tone.

"You should try something called family sometime." And with that, I left the kitchen. I despised my parents so much. But, why would I?

For starters, they're fake and they always think about themselves before me. I'm never included in the decisions they make, it's like they don't give a rat's arse if I'm okay with it or not. Secondly, they always pretend to care. Like once, at my tenth birthday party, my dad actually bought me a present and promised to be with me for the whole day and it turned out that he was actually just dodging a meeting, so he used my party as an excuse to his boss.