Chapter 7 - Nate's POV

I woke up with a sharp pain in my abdomen so I looked down at my legs.  I was bleeding.  “Jack!”  I started screaming and crying, “No . . . Please!  This can’t be happening!  Jack . . . Help me!”  He shot straight up and looked down at me.  He was at a loss for words.  I just kept crying out, “I don’t wanna lose my baby again!  Please Jack, don’t let it happen!”

     “Oh God, I won’t let her die,” he said running out of the room with tears streaming down his face, “Hang on, Nate!  I’ll be right back.”  He came back in the room with some towels and a bottle of water.  “Just lay down and don’t move.  I’ll pull up the car and I’ll drive you to the hospital, ok?”  I was crying so hard but I managed to nod at him.

     His screaming and running around woke up everyone else in the house.  They all came into my room to see what was going on.  “Get out of here, get out of here!” Jack yelled at everyone as he rushed back into the room.  Rachel slowly approached the end of the bed.  Jack sobbed as he looked over at her, “If my baby dies, I will kill you with my own bare hands, do you understand?”  She was shocked.  I was shocked.  In a way, I felt the same but I couldn’t believe he’d say that to his own sister!

     Somehow he was able to scoop me up into his arms and carry me into the car.  I had my head in his shoulder crying.  I laid down in the back seat trying to calm myself down.  I tried not to worry.  I knew that if I was too stressed out, it might hurt my baby even more.  When we got to the hospital, a nurse rolled up a wheelchair to the door and I was rolled into a room.  Jack lifted me up and put me on the bed.  “I’m right here Nate.  Don’t worry, I’m right here,” Jack told me as he gently stroked my hand.  Nurses hooked me up to an IV and gave me oxygen because I was hyperventilating.  I was worried sick.  I hadn’t felt a kick since the day before and I was so scared that my baby might be dead.

     After a few hours, the doctor gave me a blood test and performed an ultrasound.  “Mr. Ruess, your baby is still alive and it’s going to be fine.”  Tears of joy ran down my cheeks and Jack held me tight.  “You should stay here overnight to give your body some rest.  I’ll tell the nurses to give you something to eat and that should help get your strength back.”

     As the doctor left, Jack kissed me on the forehead.  “Oh, Nate!  Our baby’s a fighter!”  He lifted up my shirt and kissed my tummy.  “You’re gonna be ok, you’re gonna be ok!”  Wow, I didn’t know he cared about us that much!  He loved me more than just in a sexual way.  He cared about my baby and protected her even before he found out he was the father.  Most of all, he was more than just a great friend, he was my best friend.