Ch. 23- Occupational Hazard

AN: I changed Slice to Stoick II

~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a short period of time when I thought my life was perfect. Sure, it was great before, but waking up beside Emerald every morning and not having to hide her from my family was perfect. Just perfect.

I was so happy. Dad and I went for a morning flight every single morning. Sometimes mom or Bard would join us, which was even better (if you excluded the overprotective mom stuff). Dad eventually got used to watching me do the more dangerous stuff, but mom never did. I was glad when she didn't ban me from doing the dangerous stuff entirely, but she did tell me to not do them in front of her and to have dad supervising at all times (not that I took the last one to heart).

And my eleventh birthday passed, just a month after Dragon Day. I got a new saddle from dad, an axe from mom, a drawing from Blade, and a shield from Bard.

But it all changed. It was a day dad took off to spend with us, so we were all sleeping in. Blade woke me up a few hours earlier, but I silenced him by letting him crawl into bed with me. So, I was back asleep by the time the ground shook everyone awake.

Blade and I bolted into a sitting position at the exact same time. The ground shook again, and Blade clutched onto me. I hugged him back. All I wanted to do was to scream for mommy and daddy, but I knew I had to be brave for Blade. At least for the moment.

"Star, I'm scared," he admitted, hiding his face in my tunic.

I rubbed his back in a calming motion. "I know, Blade. I am, too." The ground shook again, knocking some things off my desk. Emerald slowly moved towards us as Blade let out a cry. I went to soothing him, trying my best not to spread the tears in my eyes. "Shh, it's okay. Everything will be alright."

"Stoick II! Blade!" we heard mom cry out. I heard her scurrying up the stairs. "Star! Bard! Kids!" She sounded so scared, as scared as Blade and I.

"Kids!" I heard dad call, rushing up the stairs behind her. The door to Stoick II's and Blade's room slammed open. "Blade!"

"Blade!" mom shrieked, panicking at her out- of- sight- son.

I hurriedly yanked Blade up and dragged him to my door. Right as I was about to open it, the door swung open. Dad released a relieved sigh and scooped us into his arms, Bard right behind him.

"Thank the gods. I've got them, Astrid! Both Blade and Star."

Mom rushed into my room with baby Stoick II in her arms. "Oh my, Blade! My baby boy." She pulled him into her free arm, cooing. Blade wrapped his little arms around her neck, weeping into her shoulder.

"Mommy, I scared!" He let out a scream as the ground shook again. I could hear the chaos outside, and people shouting for the chief.

Dad tightened his grip on me at the sound.

I hugged him tightly. "Daddy, don't go," I begged. He handed me to Bard, who set me to stand on my own two feet. "Daddy!" Bard held me back as I reached out for him. The ground shook again, and I cowered into my older brother's arms. For once, he held me tightly, as if he never wanted to let go.

"I'm sorry, Star. Daddy has to go. It's his job." He kissed Blade and Stoick II on the top of their heads before mom handed them off to Bard. "Bard, protect your siblings!" dad called, running outside.

Mom lingered to kiss us all on the cheek or head. "I love you. Every one of you. Bard, be brave, my little warrior."

"Yes, mom. I promise." His voice broke, and I looked up to see him spread a few tears.