Chapter 12 - Unforeseen

Terron

I was awakened by sounds of people in a heated argument.

I groaned and climbed out of bed. It was 4am in the morning.

Who would still be fighting at this hour?

I kicked the door open, very much annoyed by the disturbance.

Land was sleeping outside on my lawn. He grunted impatiently at the noise and covered his ears with his huge paws.

"Do not lie to me! Where is the girl of fire?"

My heart skipped a beat and Land sprung to his feet. The rough voice had a different accent compared to ours, it only made me even more anxious than I already was.

It was almost impossible for anyone to know of Seraphina's existence since the news have not reached the Sovereign yet.

At least, that's what Shiki had said.

I heard Haliea laugh sarcastically.

"How nice of you to barge in in the middle of the night! Welcome to Gairon! Would you like a place to rest first? The barns would be a great choice for people like you who lack mannerism!"

Some villagers had gathered, mostly awakened by Haliea's loud voice. The village chief staggered out of his hut, still half asleep.

The stranger was a lady, and she had a pack of men behind her that reeked of cigarette smoke. Most of them were heavily-built and I could see obvious scars across some of their faces. There were probably thieves, or maybe even assassins in the newcomer's group. They were wearing worn-out leather and rough fabrics. They certainly did not look like they came from the luxurious Sovereign.

I let out a long breath of relief.

The look in their eyes showed that they have traveled a long way. The lack of energy was too obvious. Well, except for their leader, who still bustled with energy.

She had long light brown hair that was tied up in a neat bun, but her eyes were of a striking emerald green. She had pale ivory skin. Judging from this trait and her accent, she was probably not from the Fourth Region. None of the people here had such pale skin.

"Who are you, lady?" I heard the village chief ask, his voice gruff, also quite annoyed to have been awakened from his slumber.

"I am Pennilizia Vonbron. I am in search of the girl of fire, the bringer of the rebellion against the Sovereign," the lady replied, her voice strong. She had a rough voice of a commander, not feminine at the least.

I swear I've heard that surname somewhere.

"What is a Vonbron doing here in the Fourth Region?" I heard Haliea ask.

The green-eyed lady grimaced at the mention of her heritage.

"Vonbron, one of the high houses of the Sovereign anarchy, yes? Such a pleasure to have you here in Gairon," the tone of my village chief changed immediately to a more polite and careful one.

I froze. My relief evaporating instantly.

This girl is Sovereign-born.

If she really was one of the Sovereign, Gairon would most probably be in trouble since Haliea treated her that way. But since she's the oracle, they're probably not going to punish her for what she has done.

But that wasn't the main problem right now.

How in the world did she get to know of Seraphina's existence?