Chapter 13 - Gairon

Seraphina

I woke up to a beautiful morning. Shiki was still asleep, his head on his lush pillow. He looked very serene so I didn't want to wake him up.

A few days have passed since the hellhounds have pledged their alliance to me. Shiki and I had been training the troops together, he had also taught me a lot more on battle tactics and strategies.

First, there was archery. He placed himself behind me when he taught me how to shoot an arrow. I was so nervous to feel him so close that my first arrow missed the target completely. It almost hit Aspen but he jumped away nimbly. I managed to do better after I got used to it. He himself was a great archer, sometimes I wonder if he's bad at anything at all.

Then he started to teach me on wielding 'long weapons'. My Guren itself was considered one, so I managed to master other long weapons, such as spears and other pole weapons. He forced more physical training on me, as well as a ton of books on the Sovereign's structure, powers and war strategies.

I learnt that the Sovereign's anarchy consisted of different Elemental High Houses. Each house had their individual traits and heritage powers. For example, the High House of Blanche, who came from their Tahki ancestors, is the leader among the high houses, which means that they were the one with the most control over the Sovereign. The Tahki, now known as Blanche, wields ice, and they were said to be the arch enemy of the Eshban who wields fire.

There were a total of 10 High Houses in the Sovereign anarchy, wielding elements of Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Ice, Metal, Stone, Lightning, Darkness and Light respectfully. The entire Eshban clan who wields fire, had been destroyed by the Tahki in order to ensure absolute control over the Sovereign without any fear of anyone rising against them, thus now there are only 9 High Houses left.

After the Sovereign took over the Eshban, they renamed all of the High Houses, in a futile attempt to cover up the Eshban's past achievements and glory. The High House of Earth was once known as the Gaia tribe, but now there are more known as the Vonbrons. Shiki's powers of the Drakath, that wields darkness was now known as the High House of Erebus.

I learnt about the legend revolving around me and the mark on my chest. I read more about my element's weaknesses and I studied more on people who were like me. We call them 'awakened wielders', they are people who awakened their powers through a period of immense pain and suffering. Shiki told me it was an important aspect to look for these awakened wielders throughout my rebellion, with their powers, it would definitely be easier for us.

I stared at the man in front of me. He had forgotten to take off his piercings again. The sleek obsidian always catches the light of the sun during training. His confession from a few days before floated up in my mind.

I had not given him a proper answer even until now.

He was my best friend, a loyal companion and also my teacher. He meant a lot to me, but will I be able to love him? I had never been in a relationship before and I didn't know how things work. I couldn't say that I don't have feelings for him, he did so much for me and I was really thankful about that. I feel very happy and safe when I'm with him, though things have taken a pretty huge turn now and I'm now the leader of the oncoming rebellion. It puts me on edge, but there was no turning back now.

"There's no harm in trying," it was Agatha. I could sense Kakosh nodding along.

Gently, I leaned forward and kissed his lips softly so he wouldn't be awakened. To my surprise, his eyelashes fluttered and he opened his amber eyes.